Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
36,741 Posts
That sounds like about the right number..............at the end of the last day of deer season. It's probably more like 1.8M just prior to the beginning of the season. Wounding and crashes take their toll aside from estimated hunter kill.

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
According to the DNR the pre-season herd will number approx. 1.84 million deer this year.

The post season herd will be roughly 1.4 million deer this winter. If current trends continue, expect the herd to top 2 million in 2010.

(Of course if the crossbow bill passes predictions are that the herd will be reduced to around 500,000 deer in the first season and totally eradicated by year two.) ;)

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
According to the DNR the pre-season herd will number approx. 1.84 million deer this year.

The post season herd will be roughly 1.4 million deer this winter. If current trends continue, expect the herd to top 2 million in 2010.

(Of course if the crossbow bill passes predictions are that the herd will be reduced to around 500,000 deer in the first season and totally eradicated by year two.) ;)
:lol::lol::lol: good one!

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
How many deer in Michigan?

Way to many in some spots and way too few in other areas..........

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
137, 11 antlered bucks, 52 does, and 74 fawns. Hell, my guess is as good as the DNRs.
Got a better way to figure it out? I'm sure they would love to hear it.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
137, 11 antlered bucks, 52 does, and 74 fawns. Hell, my guess is as good as the DNRs.

John, you know your guess is better than the DNR's, becuse they don't guess...they have a formula (((Number of previous year hunters) * SquareRoot(car deer accidents) ) / (number of deer crossing Big Mac)) + (number of Insurance inducstry email complaints * "score differential of Spartans vs. Wolverines")

or as I like to say 78.9765% of all statistics are make up.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Lets see, do I have a better way to figure it out. I believe most of the states in the midwest have either 24 hour call-ins which require no man hours because it is automated, or check in stations. L&O, I will not even comment on your rebut.

·
Premium Member
9,707 Posts
Lets see, do I have a better way to figure it out. I believe most of the states in the midwest have either 24 hour call-ins which require no man hours because it is automated, or check in stations. L&O, I will not even comment on your rebut.
I would like to see a mandatory check in system. I think it would help the Dnr with their guesstimation. It definatly couldnt hurt any.

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
Since you seem to be so well versed on the benefits of call in or physical check-in methods over scientific based statistical sampling, please elaborate on how each of these States factor compliance rate into the data that they publish and the impact that it has on the validity of the results. I'm assuming, based on your recent article where you publicly criticized the DNR for the methods they use in this regard, that you are thoroughly familiar with the methodology of the tele-check and physical check in process, and should be able to provide a cogent answer as to the impact that compliance has on this process. :16suspect

1 - 20 of 74 Posts