Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long did you Bowhunt before harvesting a Deer? for me it was about 8 years before connecting with a large doe in 83, That was the most difficult animal to get but those steaks made the wait well worth it. Good luck and shoot straight this year.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Got one the second year I started bow hunting, 1978. Got another in 1979, it was then 10 yrs later before I harvested another. I had a lot of success the first part of the 90's. I haven't harvested a deer with a bow since 1999.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was lucky enough to take a nice spike November 13, 1993 the first year I really bowhunted.

I had my share of screw ups earlier that season, misses. However I put my time in too. I hunted every weekend and usually a day or two during the week.

I have been lucky enough to harvest at least one deer with my bow every year since then, until last year. I hope it was just a bad year and look forward to getting back on track when I hit the woods this afternoon.:D :)

·
Registered
20,126 Posts
I killed one with my bow last year,, but didn't find it until a week later.:( As far as with a gun,, I hunted 13 STRAIGHT years without harvesting a deer. I had my fair share of misses and mistakes also. I seem to do ok, now. Its funny what a "few" years of experience will do for ya.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Man it took me a long time to finally connect. But once you do it seems to get easier after that. I don't know if it's just putting too much pressure on yourself or what.

But here's one for you. My middle son, first time out with a bow takes a doe. I couldn't believe it. That kid is blessed when it comes to deer hunting. He is 18 now and has never been skunked. Last year for opening of gun season he had his buck and doe by 8:30 a.m. I'm just going to set right next to him this year.:)

·
Registered
882 Posts
12 yrs old, 2nd time in the stand. Shot a big doe. Got my first buck at 13 with a bow and have shot at least one buck every year since then (last 13 years) plus a bunch of does. Knock on wood!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
A buddy asked me if I wanted to go bow hunting with him in 88. I didn't have a bow and had never been bowhunting. He said go buy one! So another aquaintance of mine sold me this 35 lb recurve and a couple of arrows and off hunting I go. Still Hunting I have this doe walk straight at me to about 8 ft, she would not turn broadside, so I let her have it right in the chest. So much for that idea! The arrow didn't penetrate the chest cavity and went under her shoulder blade and just wounded her real bad. I got with a real "bowhunter" the next summer and he took me to an archery shop and got me fixed up with a Darton compound and all the goodies, taught me how to shoot it and care for it. I haven't been skunked with a bow yet. I gave the Darton away to a hopeful new hunter and bought me a Matthews MQ 32 two years ago.

My wife took my 13 yr old stepson to get a new bow yesterday. The 12 yr old got his old one. Last night he got it out and pulled it back and the string flew off and slapped him in the face! Alpine youth bow. Took it back today and the shop couldn't explain it. Hope his luck goes a little better from here on out.

·
Registered
184 Posts
mine was 2 hours into my first hunt ever. Oct 1st 1994 at about 7:30 in the morning...11pt (8 with good stickers) that stand gave me 2 more bucks on opening day in the next 2 years. It didnt produce today though :( but i will be there tonight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts