Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,322 Posts
There was a line of shanty's all the way to the big dock on the west side of the island. A gazillion sleds went on the bay past there too.

That said, the ice looked Really bad in bay city, major cracks everywhere from the water level dropping and water coming through some of them....

·
Premium Member
29,582 Posts
There was a line of shanty's all the way to the big dock on the west side of the island. A gazillion sleds went on the bay past there too.

That said, the ice looked Really bad in bay city, major cracks everywhere from the water level dropping and water coming through some of them....
You mean the river looked bad? Probably just because it was wet. Will take a look tomorrow, but ice on river should be good to go until spring. Unless we get a big warm up with lots of rain.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
You mean the river looked bad? Probably just because it was wet. Will take a look tomorrow, but ice on river should be good to go until spring. Unless we get a big warm up with lots of rain.
Yeah that....

·
Registered
25,159 Posts
Eye agree, A few cracks, And some slop on the top from sunshine is the norm.. Nothing in the forecast that will effect the ice..

·
Premium Member
3,322 Posts
Ok, there were cracks 1" wide with water coming through them. Some cracks opened up enough the snow on top of it was split apart showing the crack. I wouldn't kid around about stuff like that....

It will cool down and lock up, but some really bad cracks happened today. 1 ran right through my hub and scared the crap out of my kid....

The holes I drilled were all 9", so the ice is thick but the wind and current wreaked havoc on it. the weight of 10,000 people didn't help...

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Ok, there were cracks 1" wide with water coming through them. Some cracks opened up enough the snow on top of it was split apart showing the crack. I wouldn't kid around about stuff like that....

It will cool down and lock up, but some really bad cracks happened today. 1 ran right through my hub and scared the crap out of my kid....
Relax all we are saying is the ice will hold. No one said you were kidding around or making it up. The cracks are just expansion cracks that opened a touch due to south wind and water drop and a little warming.

·
Registered
25,159 Posts
Just as on the bay, Ice shifts, Moves and cracks all the time. It is a normal thing..

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Last yr on the bay it felt like a earthquake / roller-coaster. Water shot out of the holes. Ice moves constantly .

·
Premium Member
3,322 Posts
Yup, water was coming out of our holes after 10am. My transducer was spinning around in the hole with the current running past...

·
Premium Member
29,582 Posts
Last yr on the bay it felt like a earthquake / roller-coaster. Water shot out of the holes. Ice moves constantly .
That happend earlier today on bay out of mouth from what I heard. Cracks aren't a problem unless wide enough to fall in:yikes::lol: I remember some years back going off the state park, we set the shanty (box style) right on the foot wide crack. No drlling required:p

·
Registered
892 Posts

NIBIH

·
Registered
892 Posts
Was out there today when the ice snapped 100yds from us. Felt and sounded like a bomb went off. YeeeHaaaw!!:yikes:

NIBIH

·
Registered
892 Posts
Sounded like a jet at times out there today lol
I've rode a quite few of them as I'm sure you have. Todays was an all time best. Nearly threw me to the floor of my shanty.:lol::lol:

NIBIH

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Ive fished the river years ago when it got so warm in march my 8 inch hole was 16 inches by days end. Been on bay in march when ice let loose and starting drifting and realized it when the bottom started changing quicky in 3 fow of state park. Ice isnt going anywhere now, but cracks will open and close.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I've rode a quite few of them as I'm sure you have. Todays was an all time best. Nearly threw me to the floor of my shanty.:lol::lol:

NIBIH
We didn't have anything moving by us but you couldn't definitely hear the rumbling further south. We had it shift a few years ago that threw me right out of my seat. Looked out my window and my buddies dad had his shanty half down already lol

·
Registered
892 Posts
We didn't have anything moving by us but you couldn't definitely hear the rumbling further south. We had it shift a few years ago that threw me right out of my seat. Looked out my window and my buddies dad had his shanty half down already lol
Yep, thats what I'm talkin about.:lol: Lots of machines warming up all at once.:lol:

NIBIH

1 - 20 of 25 Posts