Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this disscusion alot lately.

Usually when someone askes me about one of my dogs.
I tell them about the dog all of his good and bad points.
Most are shocked to hear me say a dog I own has a fault.

I can except a fault in a dog as long as it's not what I call a major fault.

I tell them all dogs have faults. Every single living breathing hunting dog has some fault. If not then they would be perfict.
And like humans there is no perfict dog. There are just some that are simply better than others.

Whether you reconize it or decide to ignore it is up to you.

Which is fine if you do not intend to breed your dog.

But once you cross that line you have to admit all of your dogs short comming and see if he or she throws those trats.

You Must not breed dogs with major faults which are tottally un exceptable.

I find it strange how very few people are critical of there dogs performance. Often times they are ofended by comments made by knowledgeable people.

I feal it is a great tool to have someone who really knows there stuff judge your dog. If you plan on useing it in a breeding program.

So how do you all feal about it?

How would you feal about someone showing you a major fault in your dog? If they knew there stuff and they were simply trying to help you.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
As I have gotten older and i hope wiser I find that i am my dogs harshest critic..I am real careful who i run with...I dont want to waste the day chasing after beagles running deer or not coming in or my nights looking up empty trees or wondering what your dog is running...I did that in my youth learning about hounds...like i said older and wiser....if my dogs have faults feel free to tell me sometimes i might not see something quite right...but as you said Rob there are not any perfect dogs...its only a matter of time that the "perfect dog" makes you look like an idiot at some point...been there done that

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Learning to accept my dogs faults is a hard lesson to learn. Learning that I have faults is even harder to learn :)
Working on training her now I am seeing alot of potential problems when we get to one and it turns out to not be one Im estatic. When it is Im finding ways to work around or with it. She will not be breed she is fixed already so passing them on is not an issue. Plus she is a 1/2 and 1/2 . I do hope to be able to breed my next dog and let the kids be involved in the process but if she is a dud then that wont be happening.I can say that is mostly due to what I am learning about breeding for the beter of the breed right here on this board.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I would say yes, I am honest with myself about my dogs today. I'm at a point in life where I can afford to buy a pup from the best breeding out there so the potential of any dog of mine is limited by my ability as a trainer. Besides, if we can't be honest about our dogs faults(or our own for that matter) how can you set a course of correction?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I try to never brag on any dog I own-they will almost always make you a liar!!!!:eek: Yes, they have faults & I know them-so do my closest hunting buddies. Any dog can have an off nite though. Mine always seem to have one when I take a newcomer hunting for the first time!!!!:D Never fails.

If someone asks me what I think of so & so's dog I always try to think of something positive to say.Even if I don't like the dog. The hound world is small & some things you say will get back to the owner of the dog, you can bet on that. It's just not worth it to bad mouth another man's dog.It may cost you a friendship. Especially if I only hunted one nite with it.I find that the older I get it's the friendships that developed through these dogs that matter more than the dogs do.

If I was buying a finished hound & the owner said that the dog didn't have any holes in him I'd keep looking.They ALL have a hole-some are just bigger than others. It boils down to what you will tolerate & what pleases you. Afterall you're feeding him not me.:D They're just dogs.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
What I mean doesn't all ways sound right here because of my limmited spelling but here goes. To me some times people may think or see what they believe may be a problem but it isn't to the owner. FieldWalker came down and we ran my youngest dog(Jake) and he said he had never seen a dog run that big. I thought wow wonder what he would have thought if he had seen my oldest dog(Sammy) at that age all you seen was smoke as he passed you by. All dogs have problems you just have to work with what you have. My three all have a real bad problem if your around them or pet them they leave long white (some times black or orange also) hair but if you don't wear dark clothes it's doesn't show as bad. After 11 years of owning setters this is another problem that isn't a problem to me. Now my oldest setter(was from a lot of line breeding) had a bad over bite plus an eye lid that was deformed (things that can come from line breeding) so I had him fixed so not to pass on these problem. Again not a problem for me it didn't affect his run, hunt, or style. Cooner I know exactly what you mean about bragging about your dog and then having them make you look bad. This won't happen if you leave them on the sofa.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Hey WD,

I hear ya man. I learned a long time ago that when you go to a trial or take a buddy out hunting, brag on your dog AFTER he's done running and NOT before you cut him loose!!!!;) :D :cool:

Natty B.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I'm on my second lab. I really was critical of the first one. She was good and I always tried to keep it that way, trying never to allow a mistake without retraining.

I had to put her down last year and it made me realize something. She was my hunting buddy and a friend and that is what I miss most, not here ability to hunt for me.

I have another lab now and I am less critical of her. I still teach to the best of my ability, but she is a dog and loves to be one. She is becoming my new hunting buddy and friend and that is what I'm working on now.

The rest just doesn't seem that important any more.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Great Subject,

I have owned many a GSP and GWP both good and not so good.
The good ones had some inner thick head problems that I never was able to work out and the not so good, what a challenge that was!

All in all, they gave me so much pleasure in my life, that you forgot their faults as long as they were trying to please you and bringing home the bacon - and in all cases they did or they were gone.

My Jessy and Dutch (GSP's) are top notch and both have hundreds of birds under their belts, but still have some problems that I just live with and accept. No big deal!

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Dog is what it is!!! I learned a long time ago the only person that should talk bad about a dog is its owner. I tell it how it is when it comes to my dogs . you all here me talk about Timber alot one of his bad points was he was a little shy and very food aggresive. I have seen kids drag him around by his ears never say a word get near his dish and he would growl. Jester is a little timid and not done trained yet I will be able to tell you better when he is

·
Registered
226 Posts
I don't talk much about my dogs because I don't care what others think about them. For the record, I accept full responsibility for any technical shortcomings - the genetics are there. I love spending time in the field, at at home, with both my retreiver and my setter (both are asleep under my desk right now) and I would never spend time hunting with anybody who would look down their nose at either one of them.

Life it too short to worry about what other people think, especially when it comes to something as subjective as gun dogs.

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
I am overly honest about my dog's faults. That way I can get help from fine people such as the people here. Normally Hershey's faults turn out to be be either my own fault or that he is just a youngster. eitehr way, i am really enjoying him.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
If it's someone that knows what they're talking about then, no I wouldn't mind some "constructive criticisim". Kind of looked forward to it last year at some NAVHDA training nights, just to make sure I was on track in some of the techniques I read about.

If it's someone that doesn't know dogs all that much, then I guess I might take some offense or, more than likely brush it off with a "yeah sure"

Gawd, tell me about bragging on my dog BEFORE going out, pooch made a liar of me every chance he could. Do they do that on purpose?

Is eating poop a major flaw or minor flaw. (the dog, not me):D

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Originally posted by HarleyP

Is eating poop a major flaw or minor flaw. (the dog, not me):D
I have read that a change in food can help with this. They are eating it because it still have nutritional value to it a high quality food will digest beter and lead to less of this and smaller piles to clean up in the yard. It seems to have worked my my two dogs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts