Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2019, Lake Michigan brown trout stockings were reduced and some were moved up north to cooler waters. This change happened due to poor returns at southern ports.

We will be evaluating this change after this years creel is over to help us determine what to do next.

Please let me know where you have been catching browns and the general size of them. You can send via [email protected] or text me 616-490-5090.

Picture is an example of Ludington where stocking has gone up but the catches remain low - until this spring from what I hear.
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Plot

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
279 Posts
Picture is an example of Ludington where stocking has gone up but the catches remain low - until this spring from what View attachment 830377

Thanks for posting this Jay.

I have only qualitative empirical data from Frankfort for the last decade, but it would look very similar to the Ludington numbers you posted - next to nothing in returns for the numbers planted in the last five years.

Any guess as to why the catch rate crashed after 2015?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for posting this Jay.

I have only qualitative empirical data from Frankfort for the last decade, but it would look very similar to the Ludington numbers you posted - next to nothing in returns for the numbers planted in the last five years.

Any guess as to why the catch rate crashed after 2015?
I believe that Lake Michigan hit rock bottom in 2015, and we have been slowly coming out of it. Wild production silver of our silver fish went down around the same time. Nearshore abundance of alewife has been down, which provides cover for young stocked and wild brown trout and also gives them something to eat. We can argue all day about bait numbers, but it is a fact that the water is clearer and that the alewife are staying offshore longer.

We had much better brown trout survival and fisheries when the water was more colored and there were tons of alewife around (like die offs washing on beaches abundance of alewife). When was our last alewife die off? I would say more than 10 years ago.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Archive the boat brown trout division from the Racine Salmon a Rama. Ten years of data for all to see. I have taken the time to reach out to Wisconsin and their bio team. Great people to talk to. They have been more than able to maintain their unbelievable brown fishery thru the leaner biomass times. It would be refreshing to have somebody roll over at egg take and bring back home 100,000 zygotes of that great strain. It would make a whole lot of people, on this side of the lake, a helluva lot happier every spring.

Kisutch

God Bless Dr Howard Tanner

Former Lake Michigan Stakeholder

Lake Michigan Lake Trout Gillnetters Association "We pledge to kill them all"

Alewife what?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Archive the boat brown trout division from the Racine Salmon a Rama. Ten years of data for all to see. I have taken the time to reach out to Wisconsin and their bio team. Great people to talk to. They have been more than able to maintain their unbelievable brown fishery thru the leaner biomass times. It would be refreshing to have somebody roll over at egg take and bring back home 100,000 zygotes of that great strain. It would make a whole lot of people, on this side of the lake, a helluva lot happier every spring.

Kisutch

Alewife what?
No doubt that some areas on other side of lake are maintaining a brown trout fishery. Is it strain? Is it habitat? Is it temperature?

Here is lake-wide harvest. It has been on decline for awhile.

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Line

·
Registered
502 Posts
Has the decline in brown trout harvest coincided with the explosion in the lake trout harvest? Have you actually gone to the Salmon a Rama archives and looked at the data set? Please do. Those are all Seeforellen. That state, because of the cutbacks in allowable silver fish plants, only plants Seeforellen. Not Wild Rose, not Gilchrist, not Sturgeon River. Why are we still planting Sturgeon river strain? Once heard that the Sturgeon River strain was highly susceptible to BKD. Still went ahead with a totally unproven fish anyway.

Kisutch

Alewife what?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Browns in the southern end have all but disappeared after the stocking was moved. I understand the reasons for moving it. But still a bummer.

I'm all for species diversity - BUT, If they aren't returning up north either, I think it'd be best to axe them altogether and plant whatever the equivalent number of kings or steelhead are, if that's possible. Both have a more widespread and reliable fishery than the browns

·
Registered
370 Posts
Browns in the southern end have all but disappeared after the stocking was moved. I understand the reasons for moving it. But still a bummer.

I'm all for species diversity - BUT, If they aren't returning up north either, I think it'd be best to axe them altogether and plant whatever the equivalent number of kings or steelhead are, if that's possible. Both have a more widespread and reliable fishery than the browns
...or coho. Been very happy with the presence of these the past few springs.

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
Water Smile Sky Outdoor recreation Happy

Pair of fat 3# out of Holland last Friday. Tried out of South Haven about a month ago but the water was chalked up and cold. Weather has been junk in between those trips so those have been my only efforts.

I'll pull my logs from last year when I get to work Monday but we had a solid week out of Holland about this time last year. Did not try for them earlier last year as I had no reason to expect any. Had my Lakers one trip trolled the beach back in and hit some browns so went back and beat them up later.

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
4-2-21 Saugatuck 4/4 caught my Lakers so trolled the beach back, got one shaker king.

4-24-21 Pentwater 5/7, shaker king, two Lakers, 9# fall back steel, 3.7# brown.

5-6-21 Holland 3/3 with two browns at 2.5# and a 5# beat up hook jawed male.

5-8-21 Whitehall 6/6 all shaker kings.

5-12-21 Holland 8/9 shaker king, 3 coho, browns at 3, 6.2, 5 and 3#.

5-15-21 Holland 3/4 2 coho lost another and got a 3# brown.

5-18-21 Holland 0/0

5-31-21 Saugatuck 7# brown.

6-3-21 Holland 3/3 two sheep and a 7# steel.

12-19-21 South Haven 0/1 whatever we lost was big and motivated.

Thus ends last year's beach patrols where browns were targeted. No browns caught incidental on other trips, which is weird as we took nine walleye out of Lake Michigan last year under conditions that are very similar to what browns like.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
4-2-21 Saugatuck 4/4 caught my Lakers so trolled the beach back, got one shaker king.

4-24-21 Pentwater 5/7, shaker king, two Lakers, 9# fall back steel, 3.7# brown.

5-6-21 Holland 3/3 with two browns at 2.5# and a 5# beat up hook jawed male.

5-8-21 Whitehall 6/6 all shaker kings.

5-12-21 Holland 8/9 shaker king, 3 coho, browns at 3, 6.2, 5 and 3#.

5-15-21 Holland 3/4 2 coho lost another and got a 3# brown.

5-18-21 Holland 0/0

5-31-21 Saugatuck 7# brown.

6-3-21 Holland 3/3 two sheep and a 7# steel.

12-19-21 South Haven 0/1 whatever we lost was big and motivated.

Thus ends last year's beach patrols where browns were targeted. No browns caught incidental on other trips, which is weird as we took nine walleye out of Lake Michigan last year under conditions that are very similar to what browns like.
Good info!

1 - 20 of 133 Posts