• Over 200 miles.

Votes: 28 22.2%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious.

I've lived in heavily-populated southeast Michigan my whole life. I know lots of guys here in the Detroit area who think nothing of jumping in their truck, driving two hours just to get to the land they hunt on, put in an single evening hunt, and then immediately turning around and driving back home. And doing something like this many, many times over the course of the season. Sure makes for a late night if you arrow a deer!

My own hunting property is about an hour and a half drive from my home. Because I used to have an even longer hunting "commute", I don't consider it a big deal, especially for my most favorite pastime.

I also know guys that drive over 4 hours to their hunting properties in the northern lower. They limit their early season hunts to weekends (leaving on Friday night, returning on Sunday), and may burn a week of vacation around rutting time.

What got me thinking about this was a conversation with a friend of mine. He lives in Jackson. He's been out to tour my Hillsdale property a couple of times. He commented that the general area of my property looked like pretty good deer country, but he'd never consider hunting down that way, because it's probably a half hour drive from where he lives! That really took me aback, being the city boy/hunting commuter that I am. He hunts two different parcels, the furthest of which is 15 minutes from his house. Just a different perspective!

·
Registered
520 Posts
I voted 1-10 miles because that's where I will hunt the most this year. I don't know if I would drive more than 45 minutes to just hunt one evening after work and return home.

But we bought property in Iowa over the summer so next year I am looking at a couple long weekends in October. Plus a full week in November for deer and 4-5 days in the spring for Turkey. I've made the 12 hour trip to Nebraska/Kansas so many times now that 9 hours to Iowa doesn't seem that far.

Tim

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I have a couple spots on private land down here I can hunt with friends..

But it's just not the same to me...

I like to be up north in the middle of no where.

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
Takes 25-30 minutes to get to our leases in Ohio & Indiana. Anywhere from 45-65 minutes to the properties we hunt in Calhoun, Jackson, Eaton, & Ingham counties. Do a little bit of hunting out the back door on the small parcel that we own.

·
Super Moderator
6,903 Posts
just out my back door. when i do go to my place up north it takes me about 1 1/2 hours.

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
Can hunt 200 yds from the back door. Usually drive about 150 miles. Drove up and back in one day many times, but don't do it as much as I used to.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I live/work in north Oakland County. My property is in Sanilac Co. I don't care what route you take, what short-cuts you attemt to make, what type vehicle you drive, it's 2 hour drive, it's a 2 hour drive, it's a two hour drive!

That said, 2 hours is just enough time for me to get "de-programmed" in my car from all the noise and hassles that go on down here. And, being "only" 2 hours away, I simply tell my secretary at noon that I have a "outside client meeting"@ 2pm and, I'm in in my stand usually by 4:30, fully refreshed and ready to hunt! Can't do that when the joint is 4-6 hours away from DTW.

(Don't tell anyone, OK)

·
Super Moderator
11,733 Posts
Howdy-

Depends upon who invites me to hunt on their property (hint, hint !) :D

Usually 1-1/2 hours to Kingston.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
We looked all over the NW Lower before finding the land we bought. For us, it was the combination of the right land, the proximity to agriculture and the RIGHT neighbors. This one had it all, so that was it. Takes about 1 1/2 hrs.

Those guys who can hunt close (right out the back door) are really lucky!

Natty B.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts