Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a variety of symbols/icons and colors to tell me water temp, year, and time of year in addition to recording when and where I caught a fish, but am surprised that most anglers use Waypoints to just record "caught fish here" with not additional details.

I would be interested in sharing techniques with anyone who has some 'waypoint management' system to record information that might be useful on subsequent fishing trips. I have 10 pages that explains what, why and how I record about 2 dozen pieces of information when I save a waypoint. I'll share that info with you if you'll send me an E-mail: [email protected] I'm interested in learning about your system.

·
Registered
11,740 Posts
I use a variety of symbols/icons and colors to tell me water temp, year, and time of year in addition to recording when and where I caught a fish, but am surprised that most anglers use Waypoints to just record "caught fish here" with not additional details.

I would be interested in sharing techniques with anyone who has some 'waypoint management' system to record information that might be useful on subsequent fishing trips. I have 10 pages that explains what, why and how I record about 2 dozen pieces of information when I save a waypoint. I'll share that info with you if you'll send me an E-mail: [email protected] I'm interested in learning about your system.
It seems to me that Keith207 has had a few presentations at the Walleye Association meetings on just that point. There is a lot that can be noted above and beyond just co-ordinates.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use... just a little dot for where I catch a fish, along with the date.
I hope you have lots of 'little dots' with the same dates, which would imply that you have your unit set up to accept multiple 'same names' for waypoints.

I guess the Garmin, Humminbird and Lowrance are all slightly different. I have a couple Lowrance HDS units.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I name mine with a simple code. For instance, if it is the fourth walleye on the fourth of July in 2017, the name would be W170704-04. W for walleye, date is YYMMDD and a dash to NN for numerical caught fish. If I look at details of the waypoint, it would give depth and water temperature. The only thing I don't have is weather and water conditions. It might not show time either. Definetly not perfect. It really is 99% a right now tool, but information for posterity.

I will replace the W with a P for perch and NN becomes how many keepers from that location.

·
Super Moderator
38,274 Posts
I mark structure. with a note of what it is. On St Clair, especiallly the upper lake, good structure is rare, so anything is a gold mine. IE Tree, Shopping carts, etc.
Yes, there are shopping carts in 12' of water, 7/8 of a mile off shore that always hold fish.
No, find them yourself. ;)
I dive them twice a year. No one ever looses anything too good on them, but I have gotten a couple Believers and a mass of small hardware off them.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
I mark structure. with a note of what it is. On St Clair, especiallly the upper lake, good structure is rare, so anything is a gold mine. IE Tree, Shopping carts, etc.
Yes, there are shopping carts in 12' of water, 7/8 of a mile off shore that always hold fish.
No, find them yourself. ;)
I dive them twice a year. No one ever looses anything too good on them, but I have gotten a couple Believers and a mass of small hardware off them.
That's awsome captain,I have a hot shopping cart spot on the D-river as well.alaways good for a couple eyes at least;)got the spot marked as k-mart on Gps

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here’s a glimpse of what I use… (primarily trolling in LSC). The first pic is a ‘screenshot’ of what symbols & colors I use. That ‘wallpaper’ on my Lowrance HDS 7T became possible with the Feb 2015 software update. This is always quickly visible while I’m out fishing.

The second pic is a screenshot of my waypoints in L’Anse Creuse Bay. By glancing back to the ‘wallpaper’ you can see that my best water temp for pulling walleye from L’Ance Creuse Bay was 65-69 because there are about 40 STOP SIGNS (multiple years as indicated by the color key at the bottom). One was caught earlier in the Spring when the water temp was only 55-59 degrees (Yellow House). Once the water got up to 60-64 (white 2-car garage) I did better but at 65 degrees the walleye were there for the taking. Can you tell that walleye seemed to move farther away from the Ballard Street (Crocker) Launch as the water warmed to 70 degrees? There’s only one (!) anywhere near where I picked up lots of walleye in slightly cooler water.

The ‘name’ that came up when I clicked the light blue (2016) waypoint ! (water temp of 70-74 in the late Springtime) tells me the more than 15 pieces of information about the weather, water, Barometric Pressure, size of fish and relative time of day it was caught. That’s all too many details to include in this short glimpse at what I use.

Hopefully this glimpse with help you see the potential of what just your icon & color choice can tell you – at a glimpse.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Here’s a glimpse of what I use… (primarily trolling in LSC). The first pic is a ‘screenshot’ of what symbols & colors I use. That ‘wallpaper’ on my Lowrance HDS 7T became possible with the Feb 2015 software update. This is always quickly visible while I’m out fishing.

The second pic is a screenshot of my waypoints in L’Anse Creuse Bay. By glancing back to the ‘wallpaper’ you can see that my best water temp for pulling walleye from L’Ance Creuse Bay was 65-69 because there are about 40 STOP SIGNS (multiple years as indicated by the color key at the bottom). One was caught earlier in the Spring when the water temp was only 55-59 degrees (Yellow House). Once the water got up to 60-64 (white 2-car garage) I did better but at 65 degrees the walleye were there for the taking. Can you tell that walleye seemed to move farther away from the Ballard Street (Crocker) Launch as the water warmed to 70 degrees? There’s only one (!) anywhere near where I picked up lots of walleye in slightly cooler water.

The ‘name’ that came up when I clicked the light blue (2016) waypoint ! (water temp of 70-74 in the late Springtime) tells me the more than 15 pieces of information about the weather, water, Barometric Pressure, size of fish and relative time of day it was caught. That’s all too many details to include in this short glimpse at what I use.

Hopefully this glimpse with help you see the potential of what just your icon & color choice can tell you – at a glimpse.
Very orginizeyed captain,but put dose away eh lol;)

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
That's awsome captain,I have a hot shopping cart spot on the D-river as well.alaways good for a couple eyes at least;)got the spot marked as k-mart on Gps
We were pulling crawler harnesses in m.c. and a handliner we know well asked how we were doing. We were doing OK. He pulled his 6 fish and was out in about 25 minutes !!! Every time he would go on back side of shopping cart he'd pull a fish......

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you mean a literal shopping cart or are you calling any hot spot a shopping cart? You may notice a group of 5 green stop signs just a little over 1 mile off shore (under the number 22 in the waypoint name). We caught those five in one day in 2015 and I discovered a tree laying on the bottom - about 30' long with at least one branch sticking up about 5' according to the image on my side scan. I have gone back over that spot at least 8 more times and never hooked another walleye there. My best guess is that it was holding some bait that day.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
starcraft18, what are the triangle icons. There are two at the tip of the underwater point in the lower left and a view around the big shallow, blunt under water point in the middle off the 400 club. Seems like every year somebody pushes me into that shallow flat and I am sure they are unaware that it is even there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.