Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
during the season or off season.

When we totally remodeled the house we also added a couple extra rooms and back shop / garage that is off the laundry room that we moved to a room in the back of the garage... anyway.... I built a 4x6x8 room and lined it with cedar paneling walls,floor and ceiling... it keeps my clothes cedar fresh.. There are always a few cedars in most of the areas I hunt so the cedar smell does not freak out deer..

during hunting trips it all goes in a big tote with an old pillowcase filled with cedar shavings..

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Off Season - I place all my gear in a thick contractors gargage bag where i roll and tie it closed to remove all the air then place the bag in a sealed plastic tote and place in the atic. In the fall before the season starts, I take everything out, wash and store them same way but instead of keeping them in the atic, I keep in the house or garage itself but when I do store the clothes in a bag, I spray a little scent killer in the bag and toss a fall scented dryer sheet in. Then remove the air, roll the bag and tie shut.

Seems to work good for me. I dont use scent lok and dont really have a problem with deer smelling me so i guess my system works :dizzy:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Off season i keep them in plastic totes.then few weeks before season wash them in scent killer detergent.i dry them in a drier that has ran at least 3 cycles with no drier sheets.
Hang outside until season starts then i move them into my firewood shed where they stay dry but still have airflow.brr cold mornings getting dressed outside.
If i travel or hunt away from my backdoor back in tote with pine branches and scent spray

·
Registered
335 Posts
My baselayers, socks, layering clothing all go into large Ziploc bags and are stored in plastic bins. My Scent Blocker and Scent Lok suits are stored in carbon lined bags and are also stored in plastic bins. My boots are stored in plastic bins as well. I try to keep it this way throughout the season and the off season as well. During the season the baselayers, socks, layering clothing gets put back into the bins but not back into the Ziploc bags and after a few hunts gets rewashed and dried with scent free soap and hung to dry. The outer layers get worn out in the field going back into storage each time and reactivated in the dryer every few hunts along with the carbon bags. Everything gets sprayed down with scent spray each time out into the woods.

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
Light weight scent lok stored in giant zip lock bag (gzb) with scent buster dust (sbd)

Cold weather scent lok stored in gzb with sbd

scent lok base layers, under armor cold gear, and various other layers stored in gsb with sbd.

Socks, hats and gloves stored in gzb with sbd.

All of the above in one giant tub.

Back pack and safety harness stored in carbon sack with sbd.

Ambush saddle, straps, knee pads, and fanny pack containing 8 tree steps stored in carbon sack with sbd.

The two above stored in a tub.

Boots stored in an air tight tub sprayed liberally with scent reducing spray on outsides and sprinkled generously with sbd on both in and out sides.

Face masks, binoculars, underwear and other items that I do not put sbd on are stored in a clean gzb and usually put in with clothing tub.

At the house all items are stored in tubs inside a wardrobe closet in a room with only hunting equipment.

All my clothing gets a dose of ozone from an ozone generator inside a tub I use only for this prior to being stored away in gzb and before applying sbd.

During the season basically same set up but I compact some of it into one tub in order not to have to take 5 tubs with me every time I hunt. I basically have one with clothing and gear and another for my boots.

None of my hunting equipment is worn inside any where. I get 100% completely dressed in my changing facility at the property (a portable canvas garage with a shower). After a hunt I change back into street clothes in the changing facility and re bag and restore the clothing back into the proper tub, sometimes adding a dash of sbd.

Usually give clothing an ozone treatment about every 4 hunts (that would be every two days if I hunt a morning and evening or two all day sits.) I use sbd quite often and go through more in one season than some others I have talked too.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Hang in the basement. Before season wash in baking soda, and hang in garage. No scentlok anything, Killed over a 100 whitetails, 70+ bucks.

Last year I didn't hunt from trees, as I was recovering from an injury, took two 4 on a sides from the ground with a X-bow at 20-30 yards, deer had no clue I was there.

The deer are either gonna wind you or not, a piece of clothing wont save you.;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
i dig a big hole in my back yard then throw my clothes in along with a bunch of leaves and pine needles, pine cones, etc. then bury it. my yard is tenth of an acre so i have to mark the spot on my gps to find the hole come fall

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Im not sure of the brand name, but I keep mine in those bags that u seal, then use a vacuum cleaner to remove air from the bag, just pick mine up from K-mart....seals plus reduces storage area by over 50%

·
Registered
660 Posts
Wash it one time in the off season. Hangs in the basement all year. Put it on and sit down wind. Never had a problem with deer winding me in my tree stand. I practice almost zero scent control...just try to walk in and out of my stand from a direction that deer don't come from and stay down wind.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Im not sure of the brand name, but I keep mine in those bags that u seal, then use a vacuum cleaner to remove air from the bag, just pick mine up from K-mart....seals plus reduces storage area by over 50%
Over 50%....hell i can fit almost 4 rubbermaids into 2 bags that fir inside 1 rubbermaid, with room left.....

But yes this, imo, is the way to go!

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
They never see the house or inside of a cabin/structure. Off season packed with backing soda in vacuum bags then into tubs stored on the screened porch until AUG. AUG thru JAN hung out on said porch for a week or so then protected with dry cleaner plastic. Washed in a washer that has never had detergent used in it only baking soda, air dried in the sun for 3 days, packed back into vacuum bags for any travel. This includes under drawers socks long under wear boots, we handle everything with powder free latex gloves.:coolgleam

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Everything gets washed the week before the season then left outside to dry till the night I'm ready to head out. Then it all gets packed into a Rubbermaid bin with a few earth scent wafers. When I pull it out it's the same routine, spray everything down with scent killer and a couple scent wafers get clipped on them to hide any other scents.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
...and I get my share every year. ;)

I dont do anything specific with my "under clothes" per say, just my outer layers of wear. Parka/Jacket, Bibs/Pants, a couple of pairs of flannel/fleece jeans along with a couple of longtime deer hunting only sweaters/sweatshirts.

At the end of the season everything gets washed in scent free detergent & baking soda. Hung outside to dry then put in an old cedar chest until the following season. When heading north I'll put my stuff in a contracter size plastic bag and then into a duffle bag, that's because my chainsaw rides in the back with my clothes. Once at camp they hang in "changing shed" after that. In between going north and when at home after a hunt I'll hang them in the basement to dry then outside to air then back into the cedar chest til the next hunt.

Several guys I hunt with use the "tub" method and they put those earth scent wafers in the tub w/clothes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts