Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about 2 weeks ago I was sitting in my stand about 1hr before sunrise and I could hear a lot of barking off in the distance. Based on what I heard it sounds as if it is coming from where the dense woods open into some open fields. So I was going to do some scouting but have no idea what to look for besides tracks. Tips?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Listening for coyotes is my best way to scout. I go out hours before daylight and run a mini-siren. If coyotes are within hearing of that, they howl instinctively. If they are there before daylight they will still be close enough at dawn. Using a siren saves a LOT of time looking for tracks, scat, etc. I call coyotes. If I was trapping, I WOULD do the legwork to find tracks and good locations for sets.
You heard the coyotes and that locates them for you. "Close counts" in calling.
Good luck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree with the above post...If the siren doesn't work try a lone howl as well. These two thing will usually kick up the howls. I also always look for tracks while hunting small game, deer etc. The major problem is that they can travel quite a distance after you locate them. The key is to go back a couple times and see if you get any responses. Then you found a good area.

Also, talk to local people around your hunting area as well. We hunt a lot of farm land, so they usually welcome us onto their land and share different locations they've seen/heard them. Best of luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts