Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you know when you've shot a small deer?

When you can do this with one arm! :yikes:

My buddy (a M-S member whom I will not name to spare him the embarassment) shot bambi near the end of gun season. He called me and said he dropped a nice doe... Talk about ground shrinkage!

I told him he need not worry about temps for hanging, cause if it got too warm before I could cut it up I'd just put it in the meat tray in my fridge!

On a side note, I told him me must be a heck of a shot to hit such a small target.:)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Buddy shot a small one last year he said it must be all wet from running through the swamp, I told him i think its afterbirth.:idea:

·
Banned
368 Posts
Buddy shot a small one last year he said it must be all wet from running through the swamp, I told him i think its afterbirth.:idea:
You guys are killing me! "meat trays" and "small targets" and now "afterbirth"! :lol:

NOTE TO SELF: Never ever NEVER shoot a small deer. Never. Or at least dont' tell anyone if you do, and definitely avoid cameras. :lol:

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
Mmmmmmm! Veal! :lol:

·
Registered
678 Posts
How do you know when you've shot a small deer?/QUOTE]

How about when you only get 8 pounds of burger meat. Did I metion 8 pounds of exellent burger meat

·
Registered
11,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

LOL!!!!!

It had a row if spots running down the backstraps. I've taught him to "pick a spot" before he shoots. I asked him if it was difficult to pick which spot he was going to shoot at!

I am in fact holding up the deer, and I originally took the pic and sent it to his cell phone just so he remembered how huge the deer he shot was.

Seriously, I was selling a truck and I was so embarassed to have such a small deer hanging in my garage that I took it down everytime someone came over and hid it!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Is your buddy a midget? That would be a big deer to a small person...........a very small person!:lol:

·
cold, dead hands ......
6,198 Posts
Everyone laughs, but I try to shoot a doe fawn EVERY YEAR. It's what you pull out of the freezer for those "special occasions". The ultimate meal.:coolgleam

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Hey ,it happens to everyone at one time or another. But it will be good eatin it will! pipsqueek deer = veal. yeah! Good Eatin!:D

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
When its smaller than the neighbors dog!:lol:

·
Registered
459 Posts
I once had a co worker beg me to shoot him the smallest doe I saw in the woods. It was the third day of gun season, it was raining and I was still hunting. I loooked down in the swamp and this big doe was bedded looking away. I put my scope on her and pulled the trigger. She jumped up and fell over, I never saw her fawn next to her, the fawn jumped up and fell over. 2 deer with one shot. The big doe was 160 pounds dressed out. Her fawn was also a doe and thankfully had no spots, but only weighted 39 pounds dressed out :gaga:. The 12 gauge slug split when it hit the opposite shoulder and a small piece went through the neck of the fawn. My co worker was super happy. He cooked the whole deer at one time for a family party and said it was the best ever. I'm thankful I had 2 doe permits and that this happened, the small deer probably would not have made it through the winter.

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
$15 for a doe tag....even at $1.50 a pound it aint a bad deal really:lol:

Seriously though....we need to change the mindset regarding this.

Bottom line is shooting fawns makes all the sense oin the world in some cases, especially if you want more deer.

• Younger deer require more food, pound for pound, than an older deer becasue they're growing.
  • Older does have a lower mortality rate in their fawn...they're good moms.
  • The meat is like buttah!
Tell him CONGRATS!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Put a 240 XTP through one this morning!

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
I had a friend call me one evening a few years ago and ask if I wanted a deer. Sure I say. He comes by and gives me a little fawn. He said he just couldn't bring himself to hang it at his house because of what his neighbors would think. All of the steaks, however few there were, were just as tender as any backstrap:corkysm55

·
Registered
886 Posts
I've got nothing against shooting a small doe as long as it is clearly identified as a doe and not just 'antlerless' before the shot is taken. Kudos to your friend on the great tasting meat!

·
Registered
233 Posts
How do you know when you've shot a small deer?

When you can do this with one arm! :yikes:

My buddy (a M-S member whom I will not name to spare him the embarassment) shot bambi near the end of gun season. He called me and said he dropped a nice doe... Talk about ground shrinkage!

I told him he need not worry about temps for hanging, cause if it got too warm before I could cut it up I'd just put it in the meat tray in my fridge!

On a side note, I told him me must be a heck of a shot to hit such a small target.:)
This guys name isnt Joe is it???

1 - 20 of 37 Posts