Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the season is winding down, what's your preference? I would rather wade; picking the right spot and then moving into position for the best cast is a challenge I relish and having a big fish get going within a few feet of me is a rush I just love. I also like picking spots that most of the floaters have passed by 10:00 so I can get a little elbow room. Having said that, if I'm planning on staying out right through the emergence I like the comfort of a boat with all the room for water, snacks, bug repellant and somebody else to talk to. I don't mind listening to the voices in my head except that they always get stuck on the same boring subject.

So, what's your favorite way to Hex?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I am lucky to live within easy riding distance to hex water with good trails and have come to love having my bike trailer converted to a hex trailer- I can carry two rods, waders, shoes, bug dope, extra headlamp and most important of all, a small cooler with some a few 12oz refreshments on ice and I can move it all from spot to spot quickly and I don't have to drive home.

I love staking out primary feeding lanes and seeing who is home on any particular night. The rush of a slurper within a rod length is what I live for this time of year... been lucky to get out a lot and been really amazed at how long the bugs have lasted... gotten out 16 nights so far, been a great one, lots of big fish with high condition factor. cheers.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I've only floated for hex once but it was more of a method to get to a more remote spot as opposed to covering a lot of water. I like to put myself in a position that I kind of hike a bit from my access point, learn the water along the way if I don't already know it and park my butt down in a nice stretch. I'll fish it till I think the bugs are done and then I'll stalk my way back to the truck looking and listening for feeding fish as I go. I've left my self as much as a half mile of water to fish my way back to the truck in the dark. I love the quiet of the river at 2-3 AM. Sometimes I'll just sit there and take it all in.

·
Premium Member
16,248 Posts
I absolutely love to float during the hex. I have a few remote sections i go to once the mainstream gets clogged with hydes.
Speaking of floating.. I just finished up my river boat. What a beauty. Im going to post a picture thread in a few days.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
From the front of an Au Sable long boat...
Boozer, you are soooooooooooo right! That is the only way to fish!. I have used an Guide and a AuSable long boat for over 40 years. My guides name is Jimmy form Gates Lodge. He knows the river!!...:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts