Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live north of Lansing (35 minutes) the only lakes near by are 25 or more minutes and not great. I am looking for a lake within an hour or so where I could find perch. Sag. bay is 1:35 from my house. So how did you find your best lake, talk to friends, bait shop, MS, look at a map and start going to lakes?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
started by picking the closest one, got bored with it, wanted to fish for different species, so I scouted, put the ear to the ground, interenet research, MICH.Gov under fishing has a wealth of information, found other guys with same interest, mostly heard of the lakes and species available and figured it out from there. This was before i joined MS, just strted fishing the Sag area, love it, still learninig it. After 25+ years of ice fishing you just know what to do even if its a new body of water....can also google bucks fishing report, has weekly updates as well in location of state

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I use books, maps, stocking reports, and master angler entries to find places to try. From there I try alot of places and drill alot of holes. I've got a few honey holes now where I catch good fish and rarely have another fisherman around. But I still try a few new places every year.

·
Banned
488 Posts
Putting in the time to find as many fishable lakes that are possible outside the masses. Using google earth for arial views and the Michigan DNR websites to see what is public and the species of fish in them. Soooooo man people only fish where others are and others (myself) fish where there are no others. You can have a bad day on St. Clair when you could have tried a lake you've never fished before instead. There's something adventurious about fishing lakes that apparently no others know about. I went out with my brother-in-law to a small lake that we've never fished two weeks ago and there were zero others ice fishing. We caught (released) bass, a few perch and over 30 gills. Doing your own homework and trying new lakes will eventually be rewarding. Coming on here, being lazy and asking where others honey holes are isn't going to get you very far IMO ...... unless your asking about St. Clair. Some will day "I work all week so I don't have time to ....blah ...blah ...blah" .... I work 40+ every week an d take the risk ir being skunked on a lake or rewarded. Using topo maps and electronics are your best friends.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Gun lake in Hastings has some big jumbo perch. Fish the West side of the Yankee Springs State Park in about 4 feet of water.

·
Outdoorblog.net Member
7,012 Posts
Putting in the time to find as many fishable lakes that are possible outside the masses. Using google earth for arial views and the Michigan DNR websites to see what is public and the species of fish in them. Soooooo man people only fish where others are and others (myself) fish where there are no others. You can have a bad day on St. Clair when you could have tried a lake you've never fished before instead. There's something adventurious about fishing lakes that apparently no others know about. I went out with my brother-in-law to a small lake that we've never fished two weeks ago and there were zero others ice fishing. We caught (released) bass, a few perch and over 30 gills. Doing your own homework and trying new lakes will eventually be rewarding. Coming on here, being lazy and asking where others honey holes are isn't going to get you very far IMO ...... unless your asking about St. Clair. Some will day "I work all week so I don't have time to ....blah ...blah ...blah" .... I work 40+ every week an d take the risk ir being skunked on a lake or rewarded. Using topo maps and electronics are your best friends.
:yeahthat::mischeif::hide:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Using google earth for aerial views
Yep found quite a few nice spots like that, line up 4 or 5 probables and hit the road, knock doors whatever, went to one today, threw back an easy limit of very nice keepers because I don't want to fish it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts