Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I have a good buddy that is like the OPs fishing buddy. He's been that way for 3 decades. It pisses me off at times but instead of losing a hunting buddy, I just put up with it. He's the only buddy I have that would spend 20-30 days in the UP bow/rifle hunting back to back and enjoy it. Tent camping in 2' of snow isn't any of my other buddy's idea of fun. That and he's a good buddy, keeps me from ending my hunts with him. It's not worth it and he's not gonna change. If he's a good buddy and that's all that bothers you about him, consider yourself lucky.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
I have a good buddy that is like the OPs fishing buddy. He's been that way for 3 decades. It pisses me off at times but instead of losing a hunting buddy, I just put up with it. He's the only buddy I have that would spend 20-30 days in the UP bow/rifle hunting back to back and enjoy it. Tent camping in 2' of snow isn't any of my other buddy's idea of fun. That and he's a good buddy, keeps me from ending my hunts with him. It's not worth it and he's not gonna change. If he's a good buddy and that's all that bothers you about him, consider yourself lucky.
This is it. Friends are more important than fishing or hunting. I have too many things I have to take seriously. My leisure activities are not one of them. Then again, everyone I hunt and fish with love to tie one on, and also get to the launch on time.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Years ago I went to my buddies house to pick him up to go steelhead fishing. Told him to be ready at 430 am. Pulled into his driveway and the house is pitch black.. I waited 5 minutes then left ...
I'm not sure I wouldn't of went up and tapped on the door. It's 4:30. I would of pondered if he was up and ready. But lights out 'cuz he didn't want to stir the family.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My tactic, whether it be fishing or hunting, would be to emphasize that daybreak is the best time to catch that bass, bag that buck, shoot that duck.

"I'd like to be in the blind before the sun comes up"

"I'd like to be drowning worms before the sun starts warming up the water ".

Seems to me going at it with that sort of angle might be the best avenue to take.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Take a lot of coffee with ya. When he gets there, let him know you have invited a friend. Sit around for about 30 minutes or so and the tell him you are tired of waiting. Then casually bring up how upset you get when you invite someone and they are always late. Maybe he will get the point after listening to you gripe all day. Good friends are hard to find and even harder to keep.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I have always hated this. Repeat offenders never got call backs from me. My time is too valuable.
If your early your on time, if your on time your late, if your late...don't even bother.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,823 Posts
I threatened to bare butt spank a guy once. I was dead serious. He hasn’t been late sense.

On a more serious note. I mostlyfish with good friends. Have no problem telling them how I feel about their tardiness. This was literally yesterday when my BIL was running not early. Lol
Font Screenshot Electric blue Darkness Multimedia

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Growing up fishing and hunting with buddy's, never had this problem. Being on time meant something. Not today. I take pride in being early for dates. I guess it's an old school thought process like many other things are these days. It seems like it's fashionable to be late today. Most people are. Like everything else, we're headed in the wrong direction. Learning how to act in America today is not what it once was. The teachers are all drunk. All the teachers it seems.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I guess I spend less time worrying about the lack of respect and lateness versus the actual trip and doing what I'm set to do on that given day. I use to get all worked up over it but realized why get all worked up over something I can't control. These people have been this way their entire lives. It's not tough to figure out. Work, family gatherings, church, etc. They just don't seem to be worried about it so neither am I. It's frustrating still at times but I try and minimize the entire thing. Being late 30 minutes won't ruin the trip but my pissed off, angry attitude definitely will, especially for me.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Back in my late teens into my early 20's use to fish/hunt with 3 to 4 guys every week. Guys would be waiting on the front porch with their gear when I pulled up. There was always the 1 guy who was never on the porch waiting.The other guys would talk me into knocking on the guys door waking up the guys father and have him yelling at me. Finally just quit stopping at the guys house and went without him. Would always have him complain about being left behind. Told him how he could avoid that which made him angry. Over the past 50 years the group of guys have either quit fishing/hunting, moved or passed away. The only guy left is the guy who was always late. I made the mistake of putting up with his being late and have regretted it ever since, so much so that I finally quit asking him to fish/hunt with me .We're still friends but I refuse to plan any trips with him which has caused bad feelings when I would make excuses not to go fishing/hunting with him when he asked. Finally came right out and told him the real reason I didn't want to fish/hunt with him. The only time we talk now is on the phone. He still tries to hook up for a trip and ends up not talking to me for months at a time when I decline his invitation. I'm too old to have to worry about somebody the same age as me getting their feelings hurt because for whatever reason they're set in their ways and can't connect the dots to make changes in their thought process which could resolved the problem.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts