Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I've left a few at the dock and that was before cell phones. No excuse now days
My boat, my rules. No excuses. Can't hang? Find someone else. No exceptions (except for dad :) )
Seperates the serious from the posers. Life is too short to let others waste your time.
The ones that get it will be there. How many partners does one need anyway?

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Being late isn't just when you are going hunting or fishing. Carpoolers are late, going on a trip they're late, even in scouts parents were late. It's the same ones every time. I now set a time that I am leaving and that's when I roll. You want to see some mad parents have them follow you a hundred miles to camp because they were late again.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Years ago I went to my buddies house to pick him up to go steelhead fishing. Told him to be ready at 430 am. Pulled into his driveway and the house is pitch black.. I waited 5 minutes then left. Had to stop in midland to get my other buddy on way the up. He calls when we were in the parking lot at fishermans headquarters in wellston and and says.."where are you guys?. I don't have tolerance for that stuff. Which is probably why I fish alone 90 percent of the time these days.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Years ago I went to my buddies house to pick him up to go steelhead fishing. Told him to be ready at 430 am. Pulled into his driveway and the house is pitch black.. I waited 5 minutes then left. Had to stop in midland to get my other buddy on way the up. He calls when we were in the parking lot at fishermans headquarters in wellston and and says.."where are you guys?. I don't have tolerance for that stuff. Which is probably why I fish alone 90 percent of the time these days.
I typically fish alone these days too.

Had some friends come to steelhead camp with me a few years ago, and I made it clear I wanted to be on the water before sunrise.

We all wake up: one needs to eat breakfast (like, stoke the fire and make eggs and sausage breakfast), one has to walk allll the way down to the vault to poop because "he can't poop in the woods", etc. I left them and went to the water, and came back 5 hours later. One said "why did you ditch us? You need to chill man - it's just fishing." Yeah, no. I don't take time off work and come out here to make breakfast and stare at a fire - I can do that at home or when I'm done fishing. It's cool if you want to straggle around if that's what you want to do, but don't bring me into this. I came here to fish.

Needless to say, I haven't invited those friends to steelhead camp with me again.

·
Registered
22,263 Posts
Synchronize your watches. Or cell phone if that's your buddies time piece.
Then set his one hour ahead.
Announce no more waiting after a previously agreed upon launch time.

He is not there at launch time call him when you're underway and tell him you think very highly of him. But due to no more tolerance of late departures ,you're gone.

Enjoy your fishing and find someone who shows up on time (or earlier) if it bothers you when people are late.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
That's how I live my fishing life. Fish with a friend in his boat, his boat, his rules. Be there at 6:30, I'll be there at 6:15. Most times I drive my vehicle and meet friends wherever we fish, pier, river. I come as I please and leave as I please. Be surprised how many other people do the same thing. Got to know a lot of people over the years, still communicate with many.
My biggest pet peeve is chronic tartiness. Back in the day when I was a line supervisor I had 40 people that needed to be in place when the whistle blew, people that came in late 5 minutes would drive me nuts, still bothers me today. There is no excuse for being frequently late.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Amen brother.

·
Premium Member
7,085 Posts
I was late once salmon fishing. Had a campsite in Pentwater, night before I set my phone to 430am to make sure I was up a bit early. Woke up to a phone call with my brother mad as all he'll, I looked at my phone and it said 4am. I told him it was only 4 but it was actually 5am, phone moved to Wisconsin time :LOL:

As soon as we got back in o went and bought a digital alarm clock😬

·
46,398 Posts
I typically fish alone these days too.

Had some friends come to steelhead camp with me a few years ago, and I made it clear I wanted to be on the water before sunrise.

We all wake up: one needs to eat breakfast (like, stoke the fire and make eggs and sausage breakfast), one has to walk allll the way down to the vault to poop because "he can't poop in the woods", etc. I left them and went to the water, and came back 5 hours later. One said "why did you ditch us? You need to chill man - it's just fishing." Yeah, no. I don't take time off work and come out here to make breakfast and stare at a fire - I can do that at home or when I'm done fishing. It's cool if you want to straggle around if that's what you want to do, but don't bring me into this. I came here to fish.

Needless to say, I haven't invited those friends to steelhead camp with me again.
No kidding. This is why I don't really get some of the posts in the thread about destination hunts for big game. It ain't about bars. Can do that anytime. It's a hunt not a party.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So this is probably going to be more of a rant than anything, but I'm curious how everyone deals with a friend who is constantly late for fishing?

I have a buddy, known him since college (15+ years). Super nice guy, loves the outdoors, but is always late for whatever time he tells me he can meet up. Not like 5 minutes late, but 30 minutes to an hour. Problem being, he's usually the only guy I can get to go with only a days notice. I'd love to go without him when he's late, but not really an option. I usually even tell him to meet me a half hour earlier than I need him somewhere, but I think he's caught on.

Curious how everyone else deals with a good friend that does this.
My brother was a serial offender, leaving him at the launch cured that quickly.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I agree 5 or 10 min late is fine. Later than that nope. My coworker, boss and I salmon/steelhead fish together 5x a year or so. We all show up separate and just try to meet up. My boss starts at 3am in the dead of winter, I roll in around 6 or 630 am and other coworker rolls in at 10am, lol.

·
46,398 Posts
My solution is to just call me. I can pay for gas and food and bait. Work three twelve hour shifts. I’m not an expert but I’m pretty well rounded in more ways than one.
Haha that's a great idea. He can take someone else and send his buddy pictures of fish with the new guy. Caption: 10 lb walleye with the guy that showed up on time!

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
No kidding. This is why I don't really get some of the posts in the thread about destination hunts for big game. It ain't about bars. Can do that anytime. It's a hunt not a party.
Bingo. I there to hunt or fish first and foremost. After that’s done for the day then have fun

Reactions: sureshot006
21 - 40 of 90 Posts