Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

How do you close the bai lon your spinning reel?

• I crank the handle and snap it closed.

Votes: 46 38.3%
  • I manually close it with my hand

Votes: 71 59.2%
  • Other???

Votes: 3 2.5%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about the typo in the question....

Anyways, a couple years ago I had a spinning reel and the bail spring wore out and stopped closing when I would reel. I started closing it with my hand, and now that's all I do. I think I'm one of the only people who do this. How do you do it?

· Registered
867 Posts
I do it by reeling, but doing it by hand when possible is a good idea. The bail spring is usually the first thing to wear out on my reels, and it ticks me off.

· Registered
12,979 Posts
UPJerry said:
I do it by reeling, but doing it by hand when possible is a good idea. The bail spring is usually the first thing to wear out on my reels, and it ticks me off.
Next time you're in the market for a new spinning reel check out the Quantum Kinetic. Magnetic bail trip... no spring to wear out. I have several of them and really like them. Great drag too.

· Registered
6,340 Posts
always by hand,gives me a quick chance to make sure the line is in the bail groove and comin off the spool correctly,not wrapped around the bail trigger or behind it waiting for disaster as what always seems to happen when you let your guard down... :rolleyes:

· Registered
3,055 Posts
Since my bail spring in one of my reels wore out, I too now close the bail with my hand. I think it is easier to do that than reel it closed but thats just me.

Redneckman

· Banned
3,436 Posts
usually by hand, but sometimes by cranking the reel...

my grandpa actually keeps his bail open and keeps his finger on the line so he can feel a bite, and when the fish nibbles, he lets go, then reels so it closes, and THEN sets the hook... weird huh?

· Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE ALL!
16,830 Posts
sirslurpee said:
usually by hand, but sometimes by cranking the reel...

my grandpa actually keeps his bail open and keeps his finger on the line so he can feel a bite, and when the fish nibbles, he lets go, then reels so it closes, and THEN sets the hook... weird huh?
Not really.

IF you're fishing live bait & wish to "feed 'em some line" - you don't need to open the bail back up!
:fish2:
Seems perfectly normal to me....

(Define "Normal" !!!)
:SHOCKED:

· Registered
3,239 Posts
I tend to do both but if I have to think about it, I do mostly by hand. Although if I cast and its heading toward something I dont want to get caught in, I will hit the reel to close it faster and have it start coming back in.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.