Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Is this your vid or just how you do it? I run a blade along each side of the dorsal gently running across the ribs, finish the cut, then come back and use the ribs as a guide to the bottom of the fillets. Might be slower and not as fancy as an electric knife but in my experiences it gets the most meet and leaves the option of butter flying the fillets for bigger pieces of meat to cook and easier freezing. Every style has its pros and cons, just gotta find what you like best.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this your vid or just how you do it? I run a blade along each side of the dorsal gently running across the ribs, finish the cut, then come back and use the ribs as a guide to the bottom of the fillets. Might be slower and not as fancy as an electric knife but in my experiences it gets the most meet and leaved the option of butter flying the fillets for bigger pieces of meet to cook and easier freezing

My quick video from my iphone...

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I must be doing it wrong then, it takes me an easy 5-10 min to filet one fish! I start at the dorsal like you then go down the belly with a cut then start on either side on the back bone and work by way back to the tail using the ribs as a guide. Takes forever but I almost never have to pick at bones.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Can I ask what the little pieces on the top left you're keeping are? Pretty quick and slick rig though, you ain't missing much meat!

Believe it or not...I use to keep the eggs for my secretary who said they were great...then one day I decided to try them...THEY ARE GREAT!! Fry them up in butter for 2-3 minutes!! You will be keeping them too!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I must be doing it wrong then, it takes me an easy 5-10 min to fillet one fish! I start at the dorsal like you then go down the belly with a cut then start on either side on the back bone and work by way back to the tail using the ribs as a guide. Takes forever but I almost never have to pick at bones.

No bones in these! Still needs one step of cutting out the rib cage...is done very fast and leaves boneless fish!

·
Registered
819 Posts
I must be doing it wrong then, it takes me an easy 5-10 min to filet one fish! I start at the dorsal like you then go down the belly with a cut then start on either side on the back bone and work by way back to the tail using the ribs as a guide. Takes forever but I almost never have to pick at bones.

Lol yes you are doing it VERY wrong it shouldn't take more than 20 seconds with a electric knife. I never have bones either. If it took me 15-20 min for one fish I wouldn't keep them lol

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Lol yes you are doing it VERY wrong it shouldn't take more than 20 seconds with a electric knife. I never have bones either. If it took me 15-20 min for one fish I wouldn't keep them lol

I dont know how anyone uses anything but an electric anymore. I can do 20 in 15 min.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
That's exactly how I do it,, except I zip out the rib cage as well,, takes another 5 to 10 seconds. There is not an easier way of doing it.
I flip the ribs out too, before removing the skin. If you place your index finger on the inside of the ribcage and apply a little pressure, you can get the knife under them and perfectly "scoop" the ribs out, saving the meat there and giving you the perfect fillet. I'm going to attempt to put up a video at some point this season. Once you get proficient with the electric (and i prefer the model in the above video) you should be able to to a Perch in about 30-40 seconds.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Cleaned 30 perch Sunday that exact way. After all the fish are are done i use a regular fillet knife to quickly cut ribs off. I think it took 20 minutes start to finish for all 30.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cleaned 30 perch Sunday that exact way. After all the fish are are done i use a regular fillet knife to quickly cut ribs off. I think it took 20 minutes start to finish for all 30.
Exactly what we do!

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
I do it old school with a regular filet knife. I work my way up under the set of ribs & get every little piece of meat I can, takes longer but that belly meat on those tasty morsels doesn't taste any different than any other part. I prefer to leave the skin on if my buddy lets me use his scaler. In the restaurant when you order perch the part that "folds" is the belly meat, exactly what mine look like when there done. No bones either. Nice looking fish & definitely FAST way of doing it

Sent from my SPH-M830

1 - 20 of 20 Posts