Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to try to surf fish, but have done it. Can you guys give me the must knows. Like where to start, what makes a good spot. I have a 9 ft spinning rod, what are the lures? Any pointers that will get me started would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I use 1/2" rigid conduit pipe for my rod holders. Get some 1 1/2" PVC and cut these about 1 foot long and simply duct tape these on the pipe end. I make mine long enough so I can just reach them. Higher the better. Cut an angle on the end that goes in the sand. With an onshore wind, you can pin point the troughs. Waves white cap on the bars. They level out in the deepest part of the trough. Look for trough line to run entire shoreline... not one that ends at point or runs into the beach. Trough feels like you are dragging sinker through smooth bottom. Sand bar.... which is destined for a cut and retie in rougher weather... feels like you are dragging sinker over a wash board. For bait you have to make sure you use enough floaties in spawn bags. Either use short 18" leaders with no split shot, or very long 6 foot or better with a split shot placed in between....size doesn't matter go bigger. I have fished days on the beach when it was unfishable and have had my best days on these days. SUPER LONG leaders..... heavy 3 ounce pyramids with heavy split shot placed somewhere in between the long leader and smaller bags. There is a current from hell on days like that... lots of resetting... draging sinkers in just a bit to keep from getting buried and lots of action but drains you from constant work. Nice days are for sleeping in.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Don't forget piers can be good if they aren't crowded. Right jason??

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Fall is a wonderful time to fish them. Listen to SS he knows what its all about. Sometimes the snottier the better. Right into late november.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot guys. I'll give it a shot. I'll have to make a river run to get some spawn first.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Woah, take me fishin with you guys haha
Some days are better than others, some are zeros......ya just gotta get out there and be there when the fish are "in".

Several yrs ago it was red hot for over a week and most all on the pier got their limit but you have got to have good favorable conditions for an extended period of time to get those banner days.

Only one way to participate in those types of days - just do it!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds fun. Nice fish guys.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sand bottoms equals pyramid sinkers, rocky bottoms equals trouble: but can use breakaway sinkers (think 2 lb test and lob casts), or stuffed short line with egg sinkers and shot. That's leaving an eight inch piece of mono hanging off your slide, with a simple overhand knot in the bottom. Fill the piece of mono with a mix of small egg sinkers and split shot snugged up to the upper attachment point of the slide. It should like a flexible 1 piece sinker. If it hangs, you'll be sliding the sinkers over the knot and losing them periodically, so bring extras.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts