Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father just passed away and I was left more than a few pistols and rifles, was wondering how I go about transferring them to my name? My father was pretty organized and has all the bills of sale from them and left that paperwork as well. I have a cpl and would like to be able to carry the pistols. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
580 Posts
First off I’m very sorry loss, when my dad passed I was left some handguns. I live in the village of Carleton and went to my local police station here in town. They will give you everything you need and tell you what has to be done to make them legally yours.
Flight
Did the same thing in White lake at the police department where I live.

·
Registered
38,096 Posts
Your county can take care if the handgun transfer. You do not need to bring them in just record the caliber and serial number. Then fill out registration copies and sign.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I’m sorry for your loss. It’s not easy, but you will always have the good memories that nobody can take from you.

When my dad passed, I went to the County Sheriff’s gun registration (Oakland County). They asked that I write down all the pistol info and bring in his death certificate also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m sorry for your loss. It’s not easy, but you will always have the good memories that nobody can take from you.

When my dad passed, I went to the County Sheriff’s gun registration (Oakland County). They asked that I write down all the pistol info and bring in his death certificate also.
Thank you I appreciate that

·
Premium Member
32,814 Posts
My father just passed away and I was left more than a few pistols and rifles, was wondering how I go about transferring them to my name? My father was pretty organized and has all the bills of sale from them and left that paperwork as well. I have a cpl and would like to be able to carry the pistols. Thank you in advance.
DO NOT TAKE THE HANDGUN TO THE POLICE DEPARTMENT OR SHERIFF OFFICE.

Since you have a CPL, you need to print the RI-060 forms and follow the directions. Put your father's name on the seller line with "deceased" in parenthesis. You do not take the death certificate to the police station or sheriff office. The easiest way to do it is to mail the form or drop it off to the sheriff office or local police.

RI-060 form

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/ri-060_696761_7.pdf

28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; transfer of ownership to heir or devisee; nonresident; active duty status; forging application as felony; implementation during business hours.

Sec. 2.

(8) This section does not prevent the transfer of ownership of pistols to an heir or devisee, whether by testamentary bequest or by the laws of intestacy regardless of whether the pistol is registered with this state. An individual who has inherited a pistol shall obtain a license as required in this section within 30 days of taking physical possession of the pistol. The license may be signed by a next of kin of the decedent or the person authorized to dispose of property under the estates and protected individuals code, 1998 PA 386, MCL 700.1101 to 700.8206, including when the next of kin is the individual inheriting the pistol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts