Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the rookie beagle owner. My first is almost 10 months old but has a skin condition which limits the amount of time I let him stay outside. Not to mention that he has his work cut out for him in the 14 in of snow we have here. since it's been so cold I've been wondering what kind of temps people feel comfortable having their dogs outside in. I know its different if their running game but let's say it's 10 deg and a wind chill of 0 and the hunting is slow. What about their feet ?

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
If you have a 10month old beagle whom is leaving inside, I wouldn't recommend going out hunting with him for a couple hours. His feet would certainly suffer. However, if he lives outside and you have been taking him out his pads should be fine. This is part of the reason we take our dogs out way before season, to build a nice calus (spelling?) on the pads, so on opening day they don't get irritated.

-Scott

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Hopefully you have been taking him out for some training runs. The snow can be hard on their pads if they haven't been "conditioned".

I would start with a couple runs of 1/2 - 1 hour. Working up to a couple of hours.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Until a couple of weeks ago he had been going out for 1/2 to 1 1/2 hours almost every day and seems to have built up his pads. When it's really cold he seems to hold his feet up when he stops and I was wondering if it might be because of the cold.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts