Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sort of berated recently for calling B.S. on a poster who "wondered what happened to his bullet" on a missed shot. I wrote that any hunter who "wonders" where his bullet went has no business in the woods. If that sounds too harsh, sorry.
Call me smug or pretentious or even a liar if you like. I have never missed a deer...ever. Am I the only one? Outside of equipment malfunction, I can't think of a legitimate reason for a miss. Following are some of the typical excuses for a miss. What do you think?
  1. Must have hit a branch. Don't take a shot where obstructions exist or may exist. Know your stand/blind. Do your homework. Take only clear shots. Know where they are before the hunt!
  2. I was tired. Stay in bed.
  3. It was freezing, I couldn't feel my fingers. Waaaaa. Come prepared. Same for cold feet, fogged scope, whatever.
  4. Deer was running. Simple. Don't shoot at running deer. It is a low % shot that is often a miss. Where do your bullets end up? Don't say you know, you don't. Blam, Blam, Blam, Blam.
  5. Scope must be off. Sight in every year. If you bump, drop, or otherwise damage your weapon, don't use it.
  6. I had to shoot left-handed...etc. Don't shoot opposite-handed, or one-handed, or scrunched to one side, or standing on your head, unless you have practiced the shot many times and are proficient at it.
  7. It was a long shot. Tough. For some people 50yds is a "long" shot. Sight-in for every distance your area/blind presents. Stay within your known skillset.
Lets all try to never have to say the phrase "I think I hit it" again. Yes, you will pass on more shots, but don't you think thats better all around for the hunter and the hunted?

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I was sort of berated recently for calling B.S. on a poster who "wondered what happened to his bullet" on a missed shot. I wrote that any hunter who "wonders" where his bullet went has no business in the woods. If that sounds too harsh, sorry.
Call me smug or pretentious or even a liar if you like. I have never missed a deer...ever. Am I the only one? Outside of equipment malfunction, I can't think of a legitimate reason for a miss. Following are some of the typical excuses for a miss. What do you think?
  1. Must have hit a branch. Don't take a shot where obstructions exist or may exist. Know your stand/blind. Do your homework. Take only clear shots. Know where they are before the hunt!
  3. It was freezing, I couldn't feel my fingers. Waaaaa. Come prepared. Same for cold feet, fogged scope, whatever.
  4. Deer was running. Simple. Don't shoot at running deer. It is a low % shot that is often a miss. Where do your bullets end up? Don't say you know, you don't. Blam, Blam, Blam, Blam.
  5. Scope must be off. Sight in every year. If you bump, drop, or otherwise damage your weapon, don't use it.
  6. I had to shoot left-handed...etc. Don't shoot opposite-handed, or one-handed, or scrunched to one side, or standing on your head, unless you have practiced the shot many times and are proficient at it.
  7. It was a long shot. Tough. For some people 50yds is a "long" shot. Sight-in for every distance your area/blind presents. Stay within your known skillset.
Lets all try to never have to say the phrase "I think I hit it" again. Yes, you will pass on more shots, but don't you think thats better all around for the hunter and the hunted?
In a nutshell, I both agree and disagree. Not everything goes as planned when hunting, and in fact it rarely goes as planned. I've both missed deer and put marginal hits on deer from branches that I didn't see or know where there. You've obviously never still hunted if you think that hitting a branch is always the hunter's fault. You must never have had deer come in from directions that you didn't expect, or have them never walk through a shooting lane, etc. Not everyone hunts private land where you can clear brush and make as many shooting lanes as you want/need.

As far as the rest, you make some good points, point out some excuses that also bother me, and bring up excuses that I've never heard or read before.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Wow I didnt know we had a perfect sniper on these forums. Every hunter misses at least once in their life, and if you havent yet it will happen eventually. You for one only look at one style of hunting when there are lots of other styles. How can a stalker know of every branch in between him and a deer every time? Or what happens if you flinch? I agree that you shouldnt shoot if you dont have a clear shot but I have seen very good shooters miss wide open shots and I mean miss clean. And a lot of guys only get one good shot on a deer if that for a year and sometimes a lapse in judgement follows. To judge someone because they miss is something that you will regret someday when it happens to you.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
I know a few people that never shoot before season cause they assume it shot ok last year so why bother.
These are the people that usually have issues...

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
There sure are alot of guys on here that have never missed, taken a slightly quartering away shot, shot at a moving deer, wounded a deer, etc. etc. etc.

We're all human here.

·
Banned
368 Posts
I'd agree on #4, concerning shots at moving deer. It is or should be a one shot one kill game, but during firearm this year I heard literally dozens of 4 and 5 round volleys in the woods. That tells me that we've got a lot of people out there throwing lead around senselessly. It might happen once in a while, sure, but several times per hour, within earshot, with one ricochet even whining directly over my head? Those guys are throwing lead at low percentage shots, I suspect.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
You say you hit them all - Did you recover any of them? Let us know 50 or 60 hits from now how that is working out for you.
There is much more to it than hitting a target.

The items mentioned are all good rule of thumb items to use.

There are plenty of people who have never missed. Those who have never taken a shot.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I missed once. Wide open shooting lane. Sasquatch fell a tree as I pulled the trigger.

I knew I shouldn't have teased him with my Jack Links...

A cold bore shoots differently than a warm bore, which you usually have while sighting in at the range. If you sighted in in August at 90 degrees and then shoot at a deer while the temperature was 15 degrees, your gun will shoot differently. Do you disagree SlimPick?

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
He's obviously never attempted the famed "running head shot".:rolleyes:

·
Registered
602 Posts
That is like asking how can a duck hunter miss when he is spraying steel all over the sky. It does and will happen and all anyone can do is practice and get better. Oh and you forgot to mention another excuse for missing, mis judging yardage. But then again we all have range finders and always know the exact range to any given target at any given time, right? But I have heard if you say pretty please the deer will stop long enough for you to range them, and then you are back to hunting, but you do have to let them know that you're done, usually with a loud bang. Good luck with your perfect shooting success. I for one hope it lasts, it makes for some entertaining posts.:lol:

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
There sure are alot of guys on here that have never missed, taken a slightly quartering away shot, shot at a moving deer, wounded a deer, etc. etc. etc.

We're all human here.
There are a lot of guys who are just freaking perfect in every way when it comes to deer hunting. They never shoot anything less than a monster buck, they always let does and button bucks pass, they never miss a shot, and they always criticize everyone else who isn't up to there standards. This is the main reason I stopped contributing to this website. It has become a collection of critical, whining, aholes who do nothing but pass judgement on everyone else. Save it!!!!!

With respects to the original post you should always know where your round is going. That doesn't mean you can't miss but knowing your backstop is one of the main safety points. Practice and proficiency with your firearm is paramount.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow,

Alot of haters out there! My point is as follows.
  1. see deer
  2. insure unobstructed shot
  3. place crosshairs on vital area
  4. pull trigger
If a hunter is unable to follow the above instructions, he should not hunt. Simple. As much as many in here would like it, I don't want my torso used as a backstop for your wayward, ill-advised shot.
And BTW, I have been a licenced hunter in Michigan for 33 years, with 24 successes.

Thank-you

·
Registered
2,606 Posts

There are two types of hunters when talking about missed shots.
Those that admit to having missed, and those who lie about never having missed.
You may not fall into one of these catagories right now, but you will sooner or later. You just haven't hunted long enough. :)

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.