Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a few of these posts already about people falling out and needing to be air lifted out.

I cannot for the life of me see how ANYONE cannot wear one. I will not buy the thought that I hear , I cannot get used to it , I don't need one , etc......

With all we spend on our equipment, how can one not put one of these on the list of Must needs. My god people they all come with the purchase of a new stand!!!!

I wear a HSS now and when it is on I do not even know it is there, I can turn around without an issue . Before I purchased this I used the one that can with my stands and still had no issue with it. So I do not buy any of this crap.

you spend $100.00 on arrows to harvest a deer but you will not spend the same on a safety devise that will ensure that you will be able to use those arrows for years to come:confused:

it only takes one accident to change your life to come. For those who do not use it , take the time to think of those that will have to pick up the pieces when there is a problem.

My god people think about the things that will really impact your life in the future.

Off my soapbox for now, but though it needs to be said again.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I was young and dumb, but like I said I have my sons hunting with me now and need to lead by example.I would never recover from the grief if one of them was to fall and end up hurt bad because I taught them they didn't need one by not wearing one myself. Your right there is no excuse, just sometimes you get that it won't happen to me attitude.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I know the attitude and the demeanor , But you are only bullet proof when someone is not shooting bullets at you .

I do not want to say Young and Dumb cause I see many seasoned veterans doing it.

You climb a tree you are at risk!!

·
Registered
656 Posts
I used to never use a harness. I thought it would would never happen to me. Always in a hurry to get in the tree. I slipped once. Luckily I caught myself and didn't fall.
Now I have a HSS vest and each and every tree also has the HSS Tree Stand Safety System. I am now "hooked in" from the ground up and the tree down.
We all have too much to live for to not be safe!!
Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
I hear ya. I don't hunt without one either. Scares the heck out of me. Got too much to live for. Not only that, I would'nt like to lose an eye by falling on a twig either.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I hunt without a safety harness either, most likely because I'm an idiot...:lol: If God means for me to go out of this world by falling from my treestand, so be it. Location GPS is turned on on my phone, so if you don't hear from me for a while, have Verizon get me tracked :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don't wear a harness, but only hunt from a Tree Saddle or climbing treestand.

The Tree Saddle is a built in harness, so to speak... and with a climber, the way I figure it is like this... If my stand goes down, I want to be with it, not left hanging helplessly in a tree...

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
The Harness is only as good as the person using it. Most falls accur getting into or out of the stand. And, Most folks clip the harness to the tether once they are in stand and then un hook just before they get out of the stand. Harness isn't much help in this all too common situation. A lifeline system that hooks you in before you step on to the first run or first step is the only way to do it. HSS makes one but homemade versions are easy to make as long as you use the proper gear. It's really the only intelligent way to hunt from an elevated platform.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
no good answer for this one....i have millions of excuses... none of them which are good... hi my name is Craig and I'm an idiot
admitting you have a problem is the first step. Unfortunately, there is no cure for you. There is, however, a short bus that will be happy to take you to and from the woods.

I used to never wear one, espcecially when I was a kid. Then I gradually got into wearing the single strap safety belt...I wore that on and off for awhile. I never could figure out the safety harness thing...that dang thing had more straps than I could deal with.

I now have a hunters safety system by Ameristep and am completely confident once I'm up in the tree now...and haven't hunted without it yet this year. It's so simple that even I can't screw it up or be too lazy to put it on. I think it was like $80, but I figure it's probably worth it...:lol:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a summit climber that came with a harness. I always use this harness now that i have it. This harness works great when using a climber as you just slide the rope up the tree with you, but if I were to use this harness with a hang on stand and steps the rope would not be able to slide up the tree because of branches. Obviously the harness would work the same once in the stand, but what do you guys use while climbing without a climber? Is there a good system for this? links would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,087 Posts
One buddy fell and broke his spine but made a 90% recovery, another aquaintance broke his spine from the abdomen down and is paralyzed. My dad's buddy fell 3 years ago and was paralyzed. He committed suicide last year.
Guys and gals, you all need to think about the kids, wives or husbands and friends that you will affect if you fall and are seriously hurt. Let alone never climbing or even walking again.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
I have a summit climber that came with a harness. I always use this harness now that i have it. This harness works great when using a climber as you just slide the rope up the tree with you, but if I were to use this harness with a hang on stand and steps the rope would not be able to slide up the tree because of branches. Obviously the harness would work the same once in the stand, but what do you guys use while climbing without a climber? Is there a good system for this? links would be appreciated.
Go to the Cableas website and search for HSS LifeLine. Will work with any harness system....works with my Summit and has a prussic knot just like the summit. You must wrap the line around the tree above your stand (just like you do now so the first climb, your not hooked in, but the line has to get there somehow) the rope hangs all the way to the ground, or close to it. You hook the harness to the prussic knot and start to climb...every couple of steps or so, you slide the prussic knot up with you. If you slip off a step, the prussic knot grabs and keeps you from hitting the ground. It's really very simple and works in ANY tree with ANY stand. The lifeline stays in the tree once it is there. You're never off the ground without being hooked in to the lifeline and harness. In commecial operations etc, nobody climbs anything without a similar system. Hooking in once your up there is only half safe. Check it out, you'll be impressed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Go to the Cableas website and search for HSS LifeLine. Will work with any harness system....works with my Summit and has a prussic knot just like the summit. You must wrap the line around the tree above your stand (just like you do now so the first climb, your not hooked in, but the line has to get there somehow) the rope hangs all the way to the ground, or close to it. You hook the harness to the prussic knot and start to climb...every couple of steps or so, you slide the prussic knot up with you. If you slip off a step, the prussic knot grabs and keeps you from hitting the ground. It's really very simple and works in ANY tree with ANY stand. The lifeline stays in the tree once it is there. You're never off the ground without being hooked in to the lifeline and harness. In commecial operations etc, nobody climbs anything without a similar system. Hooking in once your up there is only half safe. Check it out, you'll be impressed.
I figured there had to be something like this out there. Although i haven't used anything other then a climber for a couple of years I will be investing in the lifeline for future use. Thanks for the help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts