Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't remember if it's a 1.5-2.5 square mile area that a dominant buck will cover.

I'm asking because of an earlier post of mine. If I had the buck in my area on Saturday, but nothing on Sunday, what are the odds on me running into this guy again? The last day of gun season that I can go out is on Thanksgiving and I plan to try and duplicate what I did on Saturday in hopes of bringing this guy out of the brush this time.

My only concern is like Sunday, when I keep seeing the squirrel hunters walking all over the woods. We were by ourselves on Saturday, but I keep seeing squirrel hunters in the area I'm hunting every once in a while.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I don't know exactly about the "dominant" buck. I saw a nice little four point dogggin' four does three times on opening day in Baldwin in the Fed Forest ; I couldn't shoot due to a restricted tag.

My buddy goes out and sits in my blind on Saturday and shoots the same one near four does at 11:45am. That 4pt may have been the last and only "dominant" buck left in the area:confused: Neither of us saw any other bucks ; not to say they weren't there?

I think the buck will go where the does want to go ; 'cause he wants a doe(s);)

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
From what I have read typicaly it is around 600-1200 acres and most travel in a oval pattern in ther home range. During the rut I think they will travel out side this area if they are looking for does to breed. Even with hunting preasure on public land they will stay in there home range.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Over the years of hunting and reading watching observing and the like It will range anywhere from 1.5 square miles to close to 4 or 5 miles. We had one buck that covered 5 miles back in the 90's around where I used to hunt. We would see him one day the one area and next couple days he was a few miles down the road.Typically younger bucks will only have a 1.5 mile core whereas older bucks and more dominant buck cover larger areas. But you have to take in account the number of available does in a given area and it will vary with this factor.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Actually a recent study done by the University of Wisconsin shows that Dominant bucks actually have a fairly small home range and don't venture very far from it...and it's the young bucks that tend to venture far from their original home range due to being forced out by the dominant buck.

Article

This article was actually posted here before.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
I've followed biggen's in the U.P. over 5 miles in a day....almost a straight shot too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts