Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
heartstopper said:
I got a nice buck this year that I scored at 121 7/8. I was wondering what the score needed to be to make Commerative Bucks of Michigan, and where I would need to go, to get it scored.
There are CBM scorers throught the state. I think the minimum for a firearms kill is 125 inches, bow is 100.

Congratulations on a nice buck. What county did you take him in? Post a picture so we can all enjoy taking a look at him.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Depending on where you are, you could take it to either the Deer and Turkey Expo, or Outdoorama. Both shows have scorers on hand, in fact, I believe you get a discount for bringing in your antlers.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,447 Posts
Heartstopper: Congratulations on taking a fine buck!

As for the book - please forgive me if I ask "is it really that important?" By no means do I intend any offense to you personally, but consider this - if your buck scores just under the minimum to get "in the book" does it make it any less of a trophy to you? Does it take anything away from your efforts in scouting, woodsmanship and marksmanship that landed you this animal? Does it make you less of a hunter?

I've given this a lot of thought because that exact scenario happened to me - last year I shot a beautiful 5 1/2 year old UP buck that scored over 146. Being a non typical taken with a rifle it must 150 to get "in the book". The taxidermist expressed that in a heartbeat he would trade those extra 4 scoring points for the dark color and 10" droptine that give the rack its unique character. I left it at "Well, it's my trophy and it will always be in 'my' book".

Not to hijack the thread, but just something to think about. Again - Congrats!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.