Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past few years I've worked hard in the search for productive spots on stateland. My dad has 40 acres with stateland near. I don't hunt on the property due to the fact that I want to do things my own way. (Dads sent control consists of venison sausage, crackers and a beer) I got two spots that have been productive for me. Now that I got some nice bucks out of these spots I decided to set my brother up on one of them to give him a chance.

Problem: One spot I sat a few weeks ago, had a small 8pt walk through.

The second spot, (where I was going to set my brother up) Has a HUGE, HUGE scrape there now.

I could sit there this weekend with my bow, but if I shoot the big guy, I will feel bad. Or will I??

If the wind is wrong for one spot, it is good for the other.

What do you guys think. (I think I'm being greedy, but I put the work in to find those spots) What to do, what to do.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have no doubt you would love having the trophy in your arms!

I also have no doubt that the feeling that YOU and your BROTHER would feel if he held that trophy in his arms. I think it would put you two in an emotional bond that can only be shared by family. I've had moments like this with my father, and can only imagine the joy if i had a brother to share moments like this as well. I look ahead to the years of having these moments with my 3 sons. Me putting in the hard work just to see the pure joy that only comes from a whitetail harvest with a loved one.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I'd go eat sausage and drink beer with Dad, but thats just me. :lol:
Sounds like you have a good spot either way. I'd set my bro up in the better spot, and let him know it as well ;). And when he does connect you two will always have that memory together.
What goes around comes around.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no doubt you would love having the trophy in your arms!

I also have no doubt that the feeling that YOU and your BROTHER would feel if he held that trophy in his arms. I think it would put you two in an emotional bond that can only be shared by family. I've had moments like this with my father, and can only imagine the joy if i had a brother to share moments like this as well. I look ahead to the years of having these moments with my 3 sons. Me putting in the hard work just to see the pure joy that only comes from a whitetail harvest with a loved one.
Well put, BUT
He needs to learn to hunt without a heater, MP3 player, Staying awake, using proper sent contorl, paying attention, no watching movies.

But yep. I guess with the limited time I have to hunt this year kinda made me sour. I would like to celebrate on my brothers and my dads behalf. I will have my chance again, being I'm so awsome.:lol:
Way to bring me down to earth.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Sounds like you have a good spot either way. I'd set my bro up in the better spot, and let him know it as well ;). And when he does connect you two will always have that memory together.
Well said!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Do you eat and drink that stuff while in your blind. You can smell them for miles. ya know.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Let him have it. If he gets a crack at the big one that might be enough to get him to help out with finding more of the same. Could be a win-win situation. If not, its your spot next time. Good luck!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hay look, I got a 12 point with double drops out of my brothers spot.

(I MAY BE A LITTLE IRRITATED IF THAT HAPPENS):lol:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Do you eat and drink that stuff while in your blind. You can smell them for miles. ya know.
It depends on how long I'm out there. I do not drink on stand, but I often eat. Usually an apple or a gronala bar, maybe a slimjim.
For longer sits I need something to keep me up and alert. I know it stinks it up, but I figure its better than nodding off. I do my best to hunt the wind, as I am not the most scent conscious myself.
Hell, I know a buddy thats brought up a bucket of KFC and had deer come in. :lol:. Smoking a cig too.

I was just thinking about your poor Dad alone on his 40. Does he need another hunting buddy? ;)

And yes, I would be more than a LITTLE irritated if my brother rubbed it in like that. :lol:

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
If it was meant to be, its gonna happen..just hunt and enjoy the times

·
Registered
105 Posts
Put him in the stand, my brother is hunting my stand Thursday and Friday because i can't make it up until friday night, i have 2 120 plus bucks working a scrape 21 yards from my stand, had the 1 at 28 yards the second weekend of the season and could not get a shot off. anyway we hunt as a team, we are happy for each other when one of us makes a kill.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Good sportsman's conduct and ethics always pays off in the end. At least that is my opinion. I spent 8 years scouting and hunting some public land in the UP and offered my very very best spot to my Dad after I left to go home one season. Unfortunately my Dad ruined the spot by driving up to it with his truck and spreading all kinds of nasty sent and bait and etc. all over. He has claimed it now as his own without even asking me. That was 2 years ago and I was so disgusted I told him keep the spot and the darn treestand for that matter.....and good luck to ya Dad. As karma would have it he has consistently missed numerous big bucks time after time. Huh.....is it bad karma for taking my spot or what? ha ha ha ha ha......I guess I'll have to just keep spots sacred and secret from now on.:dizzy:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts