Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So far my dog knows sit,stay,lay down, and hand signal to go get em.I shoot cap guns around her all the time and it doesn't bother her at all in fact she will run to me if I shoot it to retrieve. I'm now working on heal.She loves retrieving the goose wing and I can't wait to get her in the water. I'm just taking my time and having a blast training her. It will definitely be different having a GR in the boat.lol. ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1361532359.939782.jpg ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1361532402.487158.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
6 months old, 55pounds..... I've tied up a few teal wings to her retrieving dummy, and she loves to chase that down. She'll sit and wait for me to throw it, but wont wait for my command, too anxious, and thats okay with me, as long as she waits for the bird to fall I'm happy...... I had her doing her retrieves around the shotgun a couple weeks ago, and the noise didnt bother her one bit.... Last thing I gotta do is get her around some water, spring can't get here soon enough....

My only concern is that when she see's something in the air, like a crow for instance, she wants to take off after it. Gotta break her of that before next season.... Shes getting fixed here in the next few weeks, maybe that will settle her down :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
Get to pick up my new buddy march 23! Can't wait!:D

·
Registered
108 Posts
12 weeks old today. Lots of desire to retrieve, especially wings. Doing great with sit and come, not so much with stay. Loves to go on long walks in the woods/fields and is good at sticking close to me when off his leash.

I'm looking forward to getting him in the water this spring.

·
Registered
108 Posts
12 weeks old today. Lots of desire to retrieve, especially wings. Doing great with sit and come, not so much with stay. Loves to go on long walks in the woods/fields and is good at sticking close to me when off his leash.

I'm looking forward to getting him in the water this spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
Mine seems to listen better with the check cord and choker on...haven't invested in a shock collar yet, but he's responded well when I've borrowed one. Sit, stay, heel, come, kennel, and drop it/leave it are all working about 80% of the time, more so when the cord and choker are on him. Loves feathers and isn't gun shy. Hoping he is ready to hunt next September. One year old mutt, came from an animal rescue. Mom was pregnant and being shoot at before going to the animal aid of branch county. A few weeks later his litter was born. My first dog and first time training.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
Guys I know you didn't ask for my opinion. But sit and stay should mean the same thing. And a dog that don't brake is a live dog. One more thing having a E-collar on a dog sometimes is unfair to the dog and will just piss you off. I offer you this stuff because I wish someone would have told me. Oh one more thing find a good book and if you can take them through force fetch do it. You will be very happy you did. You all have great looking dogs enjoy them it goes way to fast.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm having issues with my dog not retrieving bumpers. I tried everything. Tied feathers to it but nothing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Mine seems to listen better with the check cord and choker on...haven't invested in a shock collar yet, but he's responded well when I've borrowed one. Sit, stay, heel, come, kennel, and drop it/leave it are all working about 80% of the time, more so when the cord and choker are on him. Loves feathers and isn't gun shy. Hoping he is ready to hunt next September. One year old mutt, came from an animal rescue. Mom was pregnant and being shoot at before going to the animal aid of branch county. A few weeks later his litter was born. My first dog and first time training.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I'm gonna give you unsolicted advice so here goes. My advice is to look up "collar conditioning". Mike Lardy's dvd is one of the best out there from what I've heard. It'll cost you some money, but it'll be done right. Your dog needs to be solid on obedience without the collar. Then you do the collar conditioning using a E callar. This is what's fair to the dog and will get you the results you're looking for. Think of it this way. It's just a long invisible check cord.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm gonna give you unsolicted advice so here goes. My advice is to look up "collar conditioning". Mike Lardy's dvd is one of the best out there from what I've heard. It'll cost you some money, but it'll be done right. Your dog needs to be solid on obedience without the collar. Then you do the collar conditioning using a E callar. This is what's fair to the dog and will get you the results you're looking for. Think of it this way. It's just a long invisible check cord.

It works very good. You just need to know you dog and learn him before you go at it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm having issues with my dog not retrieving bumpers. I tried everything. Tied feathers to it but nothing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Will he retrieve anything ? If so use that. If the bumpers are hard try a soft one. But when he is retrieveing do it in a hallway at very short distances and make it a great big deal. Also put a leash on him when doing this so you always have away to control him. He has to known it pleases you when he does it. But if he is 4-6 monts he may be getting his adult teeth in. So it may hurt him.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Will he retrieve anything ? If so use that. If the bumpers are hard try a soft one. But when he is retrieveing do it in a hallway at very short distances and make it a great big deal. Also put a leash on him when doing this so you always have away to control him. He has to known it pleases you when he does it. But if he is 4-6 monts he may be getting his adult teeth in. So it may hurt him.
Thanks,
She just needed to get away from the distractions in the house so I took her to the school. She did great and also was running after every duck and goose that flew by. http://youtu.be/xI2PIC3_QFA
Thursday she did 3 long doubles and then got bored so I stopped for the day. I'm going keep at it every other day till the weather breaks. I do think she is still teething.Im going buy some soft bumpers today. Im still deciding if I should FF her. Thanks for all the info it is very helpful. This is her at 8 weeks with a goose wing. She loves retrieving the goose wing. http://youtu.be/Fse0Npu5cO8.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts