Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apple trees are in full blossom - first time sense I planted them !!! Needless to say, I'm pretty excited about it, been waiting about 7 years, but this is my year -

But, (why is there always a but?), next Sunday morning early, they are looking at temps right at 30 diggers - and kissing the mid 30's for a few days prior to that morning -

Can I do anything? Or am I just at the mercy of the temp ????

ferg....

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
At 30 I wouldn't do anything.

You did not say how many you have but for a small amount if you have enough water hose, you can spray the trees. Best time is usually as the sun is coming up.

Another thing you can do is build some small fires. They do not have to be big fires, just smoldering fires.

Finally, you might go into your orchard, taking with you a small mat. Slowly kneel onto the mat, close your eyes, and pray.

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had heard about spraying them, when I was a child in TC - they used to do that with cherries when we got a late freeze - but you think 30 is ok ?

ferg....

·
Registered
26,560 Posts
Old sheets, blankets or tarps. I don't know quantity or size but those are options.

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Backwoods-Savage said:
Yes Ferg, looks like you better set the alarm clock. Spraying works wonders even at 29 degrees.
Dang! They have revised it now down to 29 and Fri and 24 on Sat - couple of night worth of spraying -

ferg....
I want apples this year dang it !!!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have heard of orange ochards place large buckets of water under the tree to prevent from freezing. Its a long explantion on why it works, and involves chemistry,as the water freezees it releases energy...blah blah blah, but not sure if it works when its that cold, so be ready with the hose before the sun comes up or youll prob lose them

·
Registered
26,560 Posts
Ferg, a friend of mine works at a neursery (sp?) and they're in panic mode. They stand to lose lots of money with untimely snap.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
There was something on the news this am about this, apple trees have a lot of blossums at different stages of development and according to this apple tree guy they can afford to lose a percentage of the buds and still bear fruit, don't recall the percentage.

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Freeze may not be an issue now, the cold front that went through here last night 40-50kts winds - I didn't see any blossoms on them this morning - I'll get a closer look this afternoon when I get home -

ferg....

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
You'll not have to wait long to see if the trees were or will be harmed. At 24, I doubt you could do much except that idea with the mat. Good luck Ferg.

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun and this morning - all into the 20's - I 'fanned' the trees to keep the air moving around them -

I seems that the blooms that had already busted open are lost, they where mostly on the tops of the trees and logest limbs - the young growth on the lower limbs that are what look to be 'pre-blossom' states, are slightly wilted, and i'm not sure they will survive - but we are headed back to the 80's this week with some boomers around Fri and Sat - -

So if the quick warm up can shock them into re-blooming' we'll have to see - I'll report more this week as we warm up -

I'd be happy with a sinlge apple at this point -

But the running the fans seems to have helped - other vegetation in the yard were much harder hit, my tips of new growth on the holley bushes are black and are for sure dead - apple trees were spared that much frost -

MOre later -

ferg....

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Hope you keep us posted when the apples start showing up...or otherwise.

Here, we'd be happy if the temperature got back to 40 daytime. No sign of fruit blossoms yet. In fact, it's been snowing for quite a while now.

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Will do - have lots of other damage too - even the new growth on the holley burned off - and is hanging black -

We'll let you know -

·
Premium Member
13,404 Posts
Michigan State maintains a very good site on apples. Here are two links that you may find helpful in assessing damage:

http://web1.msue.msu.edu/fruit/applgrw.htm

At the bottom of the first page of this first link you'll see another link to a page called "Critical Bud Temperature........", it details the damage to be expected at a certain level of temperature.

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
fairfax1 said:
Michigan State maintains a very good site on apples. Here are two links that you may find helpful in assessing damage:

http://web1.msue.msu.edu/fruit/applgrw.htm

At the bottom of the first page of this first link you'll see another link to a page called "Critical Bud Temperature........", it details the damage to be expected at a certain level of temperature.

Awesome link FF1 Thanks - after reviewing that data - I think I'm looking at about a 90% loss for this year - we dipped way below the 25 diggers for the full bloom threashold - maybe a couple of the younger clusters will make it -

We are on our way back up to the 80's this week 'they say' - and don't think we got below 30 last night - seems the mid/low 20's are the kiss of death at this state -

thanks again and I'll keep an eye on them and let everyone know -

ferg....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts