Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just curious about house breaking tips. Got 8 week old pup (English Cocker). Know about putting it in a kennel & not letting it out when it yelps. Know it has to go out a lot. What about a day when no ones home all day? Theres a lady who has a professional dog sitting service who is suggesting some steps that I'm really wondering about. She says: 1) until it is housebroken it only knows its plastic kennel, the ouside spot where its doing its business and your lap. No romping on the carpet or around the house until its housebroken - because it should never have any accidents and we're too slow to catch it having one. It can be taken outside to play with. 2) must make arrangements on days no one is home to have her come & let it out at noon.
So, I'm open for opinions. Like answers to :
Do I need to get up every night at 2 AM to let it out (if we go to bed at 10 PM)?
At what age can it spend 8 hours in its kennel?
How long should it take to housebreak?
How do you know its housebroken if it never gets to romp in the house?
How do I break it from chewing on the furniture if its not allowed to romp in the house?
Any opionion are appreciated - I think what bothers me the most is not letting it romp around when we're home watching it. I want to ignore this one, she says its the most important. I can sure spend a lot more time playing with & training it in the living room at this age than out in the driveway. It also seems that by catching it in the act is how it learns not to go in the house. - I know a lot of this is common sense, but I'm looking for opinions from those who've been through it. Its been a long time since I've had a pup in the house. Have had lots of beagle pups over the years but they've all been outside. Not near as much fun or smart as this one is.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Well, there is never ONE way to do things. I think from the sounds of it she is promoting her dog sitting business.
BUT I do agree she is spot on about being vigilant with a puppy.
One thing is RIGHT after they eat, take em out. Let them romp and I guarantee you will be rewarded with a dump.
As soon and the pup wakes up, take em out. They will wizz. After a period of inactivity, playing will stimulate a wizz and maybe a poop.
If you have to, wake em up when you go to bed, take em out for a wizz.
Get used to 10 weeks of no sleep.:dizzy: Way worse than a baby.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Just curious about house breaking tips. Got 8 week old pup (English Cocker). Know about putting it in a kennel & not letting it out when it yelps. Know it has to go out a lot. What about a day when no ones home all day? Theres a lady who has a professional dog sitting service who is suggesting some steps that I'm really wondering about. She says: 1) until it is housebroken it only knows its plastic kennel, the ouside spot where its doing its business and your lap. No romping on the carpet or around the house until its housebroken - because it should never have any accidents and we're too slow to catch it having one. It can be taken outside to play with. 2) must make arrangements on days no one is home to have her come & let it out at noon.
So, I'm open for opinions. Like answers to :
Do I need to get up every night at 2 AM to let it out (if we go to bed at 10 PM)?
At what age can it spend 8 hours in its kennel?
How long should it take to housebreak?
How do you know its housebroken if it never gets to romp in the house?
How do I break it from chewing on the furniture if its not allowed to romp in the house?
Any opionion are appreciated - I think what bothers me the most is not letting it romp around when we're home watching it. I want to ignore this one, she says its the most important. I can sure spend a lot more time playing with & training it in the living room at this age than out in the driveway. It also seems that by catching it in the act is how it learns not to go in the house. - I know a lot of this is common sense, but I'm looking for opinions from those who've been through it. Its been a long time since I've had a pup in the house. Have had lots of beagle pups over the years but they've all been outside. Not near as much fun or smart as this one is.
Guess a couple things she is suggesting I really do not agree with.

1. Do I need to get up every night at 2 AM to let it out (if we go to bed at 10 PM)?

My rules of thumb. Every two hours when the dog is awake, immediatly after eating or a nap, and whenever the dog looks to be looking for a spot. Basicly this is a 24/7 thing that EVERYONE in the household is responsible for doing. There will be accidents, no punishment ever when this happens. Doing this I have had litters of as many as 9, 90% house broken and cratetrained when the happy new owners showed to pick them up. Any time I took them out I said "outside" while putting them out. At night a baby monitor by the crate and in your bedroom will tell you if they awaken at night, and yes someone should get up and let the pup out if it does wake during the night. I don't care if it is at an every two hour thing. With a litter I was lucky to get a two hour nap when they went from the whelping box to a crate. With this kind of attention a couple of weeks will prevent some accidents and teach the dog the proper place to do this.

2. She says: 1) until it is housebroken it only knows its plastic kennel, the ouside spot where its doing its business and your lap. No romping on the carpet or around the house until its housebroken - because it should never have any accidents and we're too slow to catch it having one.

Ok, this one is just plain rediculous. Puppies like kids have accidents, would you keep your kid in their crib until they are potty trained? Devoted attention to the pup will tell you when they are looking for a spot. If someone cannot devote 100% attention then I would crate the dog to prevent accidents, but you still need to take the dog out.

3.How do I break it from chewing on the furniture if its not allowed to romp in the house?

Provide the dog from day one with proper chewing toys. This gives them the proper things to chew on and when you catch them distroying your favorite shoes, just take them away and replace the item with the proper item. If this happens on a regular basis I might consider a little dicipline.

4. At what age can it spend 8 hours in its kennel? How long should it take to housebreak?

This varies with individual dogs, the attention, and devotion the owners have for them.

Not saying this woman does not know what she is doing, but would want some referances and/or credentials shown before she came to my house.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I agree with weimrus.

Just a few things.
When you potty the pup every two hours make sure you give a command to the pup like potty or outside. Praise the pup when he/she potties outside. you want to tell the pup that doing this out side is a good thing.
The crate size should be in proportion to the pup. The pup should fill the crate front to back when laying down. This way the pup will not use a corner of the crate as a bathroom.
If the dog has an accident on the floor it is your fault. And your punishment is having to clean it up. The dog gets no punishment at all.
The reason I say it is your fault is the pup should be monitored at all times while out of the crate or out side.
Feeding time and potty times should be at the same time everyday.

The crate is off limits for the kids. This is the dogs bed and a place to get away from everyone.

If the dog is chewing on something offer a trade with the command give. I don't like squeaker toys I think they teach chomping. Dental chews are good. Also a good time to introduce brushing the pups teeth. My dog begs at the sink to have her teeth brushed.

Enjoy your pup.

·
Registered
558 Posts
A couple hours for each month of age is the rule thumb for time the pups can crate.
So four hours max for a two month old for example.That assumes you have aired them right before crating.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Nice choice on the pup...I always cut the water off around 6ish and use a Kong with a treat inside of it. Good luck Stan.

·
Registered
20,132 Posts
Like Rudi's Dad said,, there's no "one" way to do things. I took the advice of the breeder/trainer that I got my pup from and my lab was housebroken in about 7 or 8 days. Only 2 accidents in the house, both were my fault.

Take them out to do their business ONLY. It's not play time out there. Use a command or key phrase while they're going. They'll learn that's why they're out there.

My routine was get him up in the morning and outside. Bring 'em in and exercise or play, then feed 'em and put him in his crate. Puppies sleep a LONG time when they have a full belly and tired. :D You should be fine for a good 4 or 5 hours.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Yes to all of the advice you have been given on this board.

As to the how do you do it during the day...do you have a neighbor you trust? A friend? An inlaw?

At eight weeks, it's not likely your puppy will make it all day without urinating, but you should be close to good with the defecating. Come home, take the pup outside first thing (no greeting until after we go potty outside), swap out the towel or blanket or whatever you are using in the crate to absorb the urine (I believe this is important if you are unable to let out every couple of hours) so that it's apparent that the kennel should remain dry.

If you let your pup out on a normal basis, letting it out as often as is necessary, and do not punish...you should not have any trouble with potty training. It comes quickly when it's reinforced, especially if you reward outside.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I think I got a good handle on it, now. I think he's a pretty smart pup & has amazed me so far on how quick he's learned. These replys have reassured me that we're doing it right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts