Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow outdoorsman...

I will be heading north to either Houghton or Mitchell/Caddilac from June 4-11 this year. I am debating on which lake/area to choose and thought I would seek some advice on this forum...love to fish out of my 96 skeeter and mostly bass/crappie fish here at my home lakes. My question is which lake do you all suggest for this time of year? I am out mainly for bass, panfish and will never turn down a nice walleye or pike...i dont troll...mostly used to hopping around seeing what i can see and picking it apart trying to find fish..jigging, cranking, winding, drop shotting.

I am a little worried that i will be there at a time when water temps havent quite risen enough to get fish moving/feeding..but again am not familiar enough with the areas/lakes to know whats going on this time of year. Also a little hesitant on houghton because of wind and how rough i assume it can get. The house i am looking at on Houghton is in the east bay near Prudenville. The house i am looking at on mitchell is on the northwest side of the lake.

So there ya have it..what do you all suggest...Houghton or Caddilac??

Thanks in advance for sharing your waters.

·
Registered
12,019 Posts

I will be heading north to either Houghton or Mitchell/Caddilac from June 4-11 this year. I am debating on which lake/area to choose and thought I would seek some advice on this forum...love to fish out of my 96 skeeter and mostly bass/crappie fish here at my home lakes. My question is which lake do you all suggest for this time of year? I am out mainly for bass, panfish and will never turn down a nice walleye or pike...i dont troll...mostly used to hopping around seeing what i can see and picking it apart trying to find fish..jigging, cranking, winding, drop shotting.

I am a little worried that i will be there at a time when water temps havent quite risen enough to get fish moving/feeding..but again am not familiar enough with the areas/lakes to know whats going on this time of year. Also a little hesitant on houghton because of wind and how rough i assume it can get. The house i am looking at on Houghton is in the east bay near Prudenville. The house i am looking at on mitchell is on the northwest side of the lake.

I have never fished houghton the same week you are going but i have fished Mitchell several days in a row that week. We were chasing bass and caught a ton of walleye on jerkbaits just casting. One day my son and I inadvertantly caught a two man limit of walleye. Bass fishi g was decent too.

I have fished houghton alot in july. There is decent bass fishing but the best bite for largemouth is super shalloe in the sand flats under the several areas of boit hoists /docks. There is great walleye fishing on Houghton but the area you target them isnt really the same area the bass are in the way mitchell is.

I dont think you can go wrong with either place really. Both lakes also have smallmouth.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
If you're going to be up there for a week, why not try both?

It's a little less than an hour drive from the one to the other, so pick a day or two on one, then move over to fish the other. Should give you a good idea of which one to spend the rest of the week on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks to both of you for the responses...we decided to give lake mitchell and cadillac a try. we will be staying next week.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts

Did you ever think of Higgins Lake? The rock bass, perch and small mouth are in the shallows. We catch hundreds of rock bass, many approaching master angler class and great to eat.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
aah so many choices.. fletchers has about the best largemouth fishing inland in the state and panfish aplenty with brusier pike if you can find them...long and grand by alpena offer excellent smallmouth and some largemouth along with walleye..hubbard is great for many species but deep ,warms later..leelanau has it all with the exception of musky(brown,brook,bows and occasional laker in the cold water species TOO)..good reports all year so far from otsego...hamlin is good for bucketmouths. tippy dam has good fishing for about anything..manistee lake in manistee offers chances for trophies(not to be confused with manistee lake in kalkaska)...from memorial day til after labor day i prefer lakes that the pleasure crowd avoids...a little skiing or tubing is fine but when they congregate in 'en masse' and tear up the water and become overly noisy..just not my scene..... and i am sure i have omitted many..the whole chains on the east side of traverse bays..the big three on inland waterway..and even paradise(formerly carp lake).. i have fished them all but its taken nearly 70 years..lol....still finding little gems in the yooper....
96 skeeter/ bass boat i presume? i had an mx for awhile didnt handle the great lakes AS WELL AS I WOULD HAVE LIKED..came ,oh so close ,last year and this at pulling trigger on 2060 and 1910 wx... just at my age and the cost and the way they rose in price this year..wasnt prudent to do so..but sure love the yammys compared to the mercs i am often stuck with.....p.s. there is tomahawk flooding ,only campgrounds no resorts..that is a sleeper for a good largemouth guy...

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Enjoy! Mitchell has very easy stucture to read. Have done great for pike and bass in spring myself, going for pike on the drop-offs and bass in the shallows, by the lily pads. That was early May, but it should still be good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Again..thanks to all who responded...i spent the week on mitchell and cadillac (leaving tomorrow) and wanted to follow up on how it went.

i spent about 3-4 hours a day on the water...less than i anticipated but ill take it. i only went to lake cadillac once to check out the canal and fished for about 20 mins picking up a nice largie. the rest of my time was spent on mitchell. water temps were 70 when i arrived june 4 and are 80 right now. largemouth were plentiful and seemed to be just about everywhere in the lake. caught them on jerkbaits, spinnerbaits and plastics. probably caught around 20-25 largemouth. the reeds outside of the small cove were loaded with lm.

i primarily threw a jerkbait as its my go to bait...and im a firm believer that it isnt just a cold water bait. i fished weed edges inside and out just pecking the tops of the weeds and trying to focus on any dramatic depth changes with weeds present. caught multiple walleye doing this including a nice 22". also picked up several pike fishing the mouth of the big cove. suprisingly i caught a nice bunch of crappie throughout the week doing this also...all on a rapala srd 11 in bone color.

bluegill/sunfish were on beds and on calm days you could spot the beds in the shallows and pick up some nice fish. i only spent about an hour doing this one day then moved on.

lake was sprayed for weeds june 3 as we had a notice at the house we stayed in.

overall it was a beautiful and unique lake and we enjoyed our stay. there are some pretty serious hazard areas on the lake ...im glad i did my research prior to my trip. seems like a guy could lose a lower unit pretty quickly. it makes the lake nice though because there arent a ton of pleasure boats out...alot of days it felt like i had the lake to myself.

thanks again for sharing your waters...all fish were caught and released. i will be back some day to this little gem. houghton and leelanau are gonna come first though...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Anyone have an updated on the panfish report? I'm heading up to Mitchell state park this weekend and hoping to get the kids onto some fish. Has the spawn for crappies and gills been complete? Thank you in advance!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts