Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever hunt these lakes? Anygood? What about opener, is it packed?...I know that Houghton is about 20000 acres, so that would be crazy to be packed, also, I know it is only about 40 feet deep, so it stays a bit choppy, anything else about those two lakes????

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Anyone ever hunt these lakes? Anygood? What about opener, is it packed?...I know that Houghton is about 20000 acres, so that would be crazy to be packed, also, I know it is only about 40 feet deep, so it stays a bit choppy, anything else about those two lakes????
Yeah I've hunted Houghton Lake, and fished it too, but with all due respect man, you sure do ask some pretty specific questions, which I doubt anyone will give ya over the internet. I mean c'mon, yeah it's huge, and no it's not 40 feet...20 is the most I've found...and mostly less than 10. And no, it's not all that choppy, although it can be when it kicks up. I've been out there in gun deer season when it's calm as glass all day. So I can say to ya is it's a big lake, it has lots of ducks when the ducks are in, and every time I've duck hunted it there have been plenty of other hunters. Would I call it "crazy"? No, I wouldn't...it's too big. Kinda like on Saginaw Bay...lots of room to spread out. But it can get crowded. I've never hunted there opening day...wouldn't wanna try either. The boat launches alone would raise my bloodpressure way too high. Now the one thing about Houghton Lake is is you aren't gonna pull your boat up against shore and hunt anywhere...all developed with no cover to speak of left. So you're hunting open water, so you'd better have either a nice sized boat and blind, or a layout rig. Other than that, all I can tell ya is get out there and see for yourself. Sorry...just the fact.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info, just wanted to clear up a few things that I had heard about it. I am going with a friend who has hunted before so I am not worried about it too much, just wanted some insight.

With all do respect...

I think that we all know that you are not going to find someone's honey hole here online...even on a lake as big as Houghton.

Hope everyone has a safe and profitable opening weekend and BE SAFE!!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I will be hunting higgins for the first time this year layout rig in tow. Hopefully I will have success pics up later in the season

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
To hunt either, you need minimally a 14' wide beam boat with a blind.
The deep water zones get really rough. You can hunt the Middle Grounds of Houghton. It's only 4' deep, and full of weeds that knock the waves down on rough days. That's usually the only place you find birds too.
BUT, you need 2 anchors, and they could break loose ANY time because anchors don't bite well in weeds. Then, you drift through your decoy rig. Been there, done that. There are floating blinds out there too, STAY AWAY from them. Those are locals, and they put those blinds out before the season. If you crowd one of those, you'll hear about it.

If it were me, I would go in the afternoon to get a lay of the land.
We used to shoot Ringers and Mallards.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
To hunt either, you need minimally a 14' wide beam boat with a blind.
The deep water zones get really rough. You can hunt the Middle Grounds of Houghton. It's only 4' deep, and full of weeds that knock the waves down on rough days. That's usually the only place you find birds too.
BUT, you need 2 anchors, and they could break loose ANY time because anchors don't bite well in weeds. Then, you drift through your decoy rig. Been there, done that. There are floating blinds out there too, STAY AWAY from them. Those are locals, and they put those blinds out before the season. If you crowd one of those, you'll hear about it.

If it were me, I would go in the afternoon to get a lay of the land.
We used to shoot Ringers and Mallards.

Where does one get a 14 foot wide boat?

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Higgins is not that good, its Houghton you need to concentrate on. Higgins coudl be OK in the late late last weekend kinda thing, never really seen anybody hunting it, its too deep and clear and ducks/divers are only there as a stop over. Layout is your best bet on Higgins but until the big flights come down Higgins is pretty much worthless and Houghton is 50x better.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Thanks for clarifying my point, you guys should be professional proof readers.
There are 2 kinds of boats, narrow beam "car toppers", and wide beam lake boats. You go out to the Houghton middle grounds in a 14' car topper on a rough day, you WILL swim, you might die.
I forgot to mention, there is always a lot of hunting pressure on the opener, don't crowd.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Never been to Higgens, but from my experience on Houghton it is hit or miss. When the birds are there it's great but when they're not it stinks. That's hunting though. I'm not much of a waterfowler but i try to make it up there at least once every year.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Man, you'll do fine just call like I know you can and you'll shoot well, now getting the ducks back too the boat could be a issue without Maddie or Yukon there but thats why you have a boat!LOL:lol:

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Cut River is very low last couple years and diffiuclt at times to navigate. From what I have heard, alot less birds using it anymore and back eddies are dry which alot fo the birds used years ago.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The South Branch of the AuSable runs along Old 76 between St Helen and Roscommon. There are some ponds along F-97 south east of St Helen that are off of the road a bit but hold woodies. The snowmobile trail system has ponds along it all over St Helen to Roscommon to Houghton Lake to West Branch.

Talk to Dave at Malcolm's in St Helen.

Also, Dwayne Ong's dad has a resort on Houghton and he be one to talk to. They layout shoot on Houghton and have had some phenominal shoots. I've seen the video. I can't remember the name though...starts with a "B". Beer and Nuts would know.

Ken

1 - 14 of 14 Posts