Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody has anything to report from Houghton Lake. I want to go up this weekend and get the boat for a little pre-season maintenance, and hoping to go after some Crappie while up. I know that the lake is starting to break-up, but don’t know how much. If any body knows if the canals are free of ice and if the Crappie have moved in yet, I would appreciate it. Thanks a lot!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
sajones,

If you manage to get up there this weekend will you let me know how the ice is on the channels, I've been waiting all winter for spring to come to fish the channels for crappies. Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gvsufishin-
I called Lyman's on the lake yesterday (Wednesday), and they said that the canals where open but there was still ice on the lake. He even said that people have been wadding into the canals to fish for bedding panfish. I dont know if you can get to the canals by boat yet, but you can fish from shore and docks. I have fished Houghton Lake for about 15 years, and have had a house there for 10, and I can tell you all it takes is 1-2 days of high winds and the lake will break up right before your eyes. If you are thinking about going up, I would recommend it. There are plenty of places to fish even if the middle of the lake is still frozen. Let me know how you do.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
"I called Wyman's yesterday and he said ------------------.They also said people were wading into the canals to fish for bedding panfish"

If that info is indicative of the accuracy of their report, I wouldn't believe them if they said it was daylight at high noon!
There are no bedding panfish anywhere in the state of Michigan and there won't be for some time.
In all fairness though, there may be spawning perch which is about right but perch, like northern pike, do not bed. Their eggs come out in sticky strings that attach to weeds or wood.

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
sajones,

Sorry, didnt know you were a HL regular. Been going up and around there for over 25 years or more myself. We finally got our own little cottage just off the lake in Prudenville about a year and half ago. It's a great place to go with the family and hang out. I usually rent a fishing boat, hopefully will get a small one to keep up there this year. Please post or PM me when you've got a report on the fishing! :)

As far as the reports from Lyman's I've never gotten a bad (incorrect) one, if there are people wading the canals I'd have say thats what there doing. I've called there before and actually gotten "bad" fishing reports!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I know last year when the canals opened up we were catching crappies in them. A few other panfish but mostly crappies. Good Luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts