Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Went out of the south-west DNR launch on Monday, good 5-7 inches everywhere we were at, there was open water out in the middle and on the east end of the lake but on the west it was all around 6 inches. And with this cold weather that last two days I am sure it is thicker now.

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
scamarc,

Welcome to the site!

If you do a search of the Ice Fishing Forum using "Houghton Lake" you'll find all kinds of past (recent) reports for the area. Its getting better every day!

Also, Theres a M-S outing planned for February 28th & 29th. See the "Outings" forum, stayed tuned for details as they develop. Hopefully you can make it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey scamarc you still going to Houghton lake next week-end with arcotraz? I"ll be there friday night. We'll have to get together.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Kwick65; We are having a mini outing there this week-end. If you guys have a radio we will be on ch. 7 code 0.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Anybody catching anything on HL? I am gonna be there next weekend?

Muddy Bay in particular used to be good for walleye, anybody been there lately?

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
My buddies have been getting a lot of pike out in front of Lymans. 3 guys caught 27 the other day with 4 keeper, 2 being around 30".

They usually find the fish by now, but have been so busy working they can't get out much.

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
FieldWalker,

If your familiar with HL, they are getting most of the pike in whats called the "Southside Weedbed", the popular spots are out from Lyman's then all the way down (east) to the south side (T-U-T site) DNR launch area in anywhere from 4 to 8 foot of water.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Right out where Lymans is the field that runs North-South is pretty shallow. Careful not to go to far out because there is an underwater sand bar! So when you see the shanty town consisting of Lymans rentals choose a spot toward shore rather than further out.

I am assuming Lyman and Lagoon resort have their rentals out by now, me not being there. But they generally puts them out in the same spot every year.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Perhaps some of you guys could give me some information on the easier parking and access areas for Houghton and possibly directions coming from the Mount Pleasant area? I would like to try my luck up there this year.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Frantz,
Looks like you'd take 27 North to M-55 (Houghton Lake/Prudenville Exit), head east on M-55 into HL, Prudenville is just east of HL.

See the HLCOC website for info on the area:
http://houghtonlakechamber.com/

Lyman's on the lake is one the local favorites for bait, tackle and information. He's got a website as well: http://www.lymansonthelake.com/

There are several places along the south side of the lake for access and fishing. Out from Lyman's is one local hang out to fish, another is out from the Marina and also across from the highschool at the southside DNR launch. HL is 22,000 acres large so there's a lot of possibilities!

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Actually the neat thing about HL is when you see a small subdivision of houses on the lake most of the roads that end at the lake are public access. Simply drive past the businesses and head into the residential streets along the lake and head towards the lake. Then if a road ends at the lake just drive out and park on the shore ice. Which means there is a ton of access and parking.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts