Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
My dad was up there last week and said the fishing was slow. Caught a lot of dink perch and a not legal walleye. He said there were signs posted at the launch that they just dumped chemicals in the lake to kill the milfoil or something along those lines.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
181 Posts
My family is heading there for a week in August. Never fished it before. Any advice? Pm me if you want. Thank you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My grandparents have had a cottage on Houghton Lake since the 60s-70s. As far as fishing goes, there are fish in there but don't expect much. It is a very shallow lake (a couple of 20-30ft holes) but most of the lake is 10-15ft deep.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Just got back from Houghton. Water temp was 84.9 degrees. Caught a few in the usual spots.

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
The water is really warm and the fishing is really slow. Lots of guys going out but not catching much.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have been up at the ole' cottage for about three weeks now. The fishing is slow. Every night I manage to catch something usually consisting of the following: dinky perch, blue bills, an occasional walleye, and pike. For the record, I have thrown back more walleye that I have kept. They all seem to be 14" inches.

Like others have said, the lake is WARM. I have had best luck when fishing from dusk to dark.

Oh yeah...my techniques have been jigging and running a slip bobber.

Good luck!

·
Registered
732 Posts
It never approaches 30'. 21'-22' is the max, but there are tons of walleye. Big ones are tough to find but do exist

1 - 10 of 10 Posts