Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got sick of waiting for LSC to freeze up so we're heading up to Houghton/Higgins this weekend. Which body of water does everyone prefer for ice fishing? I am leaning more towards Houghton lake due to the Winter Fest going on at Higgins. Anyone have some areas they would suggest on Houghton?

Going to be stopping by Lymans to pick up bait and see where the crack has spread to. Any help would be appreciated.

Tight lines!
-MM

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Just a heads up theguy that checks the ice every day said the pressure crack that goes from the HT's along to Long point opened up about 12 foot wide. It is nowcovered with a thin layer of ice which is cover in the new snowfall. This ison the west end of the lake
My uncle said the same thing and they'll be on west end tomorrow avoiding that hopefully

Reactions: Scout 2

·
Registered
313 Posts
Any particular area of the lake at those depths or are they just running in the shallow right now in general?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
North end is that depth for a lot of it. We had a vrbo house right there a couple of years ago and could not get the side by side on the ice. Watch tip ups from the house and did surprisingly well in the eyes

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just a heads up theguy that checks the ice every day said the pressure crack that goes from the HT's along to Long point opened up about 12 foot wide. It is nowcovered with a thin layer of ice which is cover in the new snowfall. This ison the west end of the lake
The HT’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
185 Posts
What is HT’s. Or where? Should have phrased it that way on the last post.

·
Premium Member
10,791 Posts
It was said there is another opening up fast off the west launch. Pictures on FB you could see it opening up while they were filming it

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'll be up there on Houghton next weekend , I'll be on foot and on the south end , we'll see what I can find. Looks like I'll be far away from any pressure cracks , see you then

·
Registered
185 Posts
I’ll be up there also. I’ll have my ATV and was hoping to fish the north end as I’m staying on the northwest end of the lake but now it sounds like I’ll have to trailer my ATV to a different location to get on safely.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Started out in front of Beachfront in about 6ft. Caught some perch but mostly dinks. Jumped out to center of lake in about 9ft. Same thing dink perch. On our way in stopped by the big group by the launch and nothing. No bites or anything.

Wasn't really moving as much as I should because I had the wife and had to keep her warm.

Hope everyone else did better than us.

Tight lines!
So ???

How did/do you do/did ?? Seeing how they are close IMO to each other...check out both :)

Hope you did well !
Sent from my SM-G975U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same here. I was out on the middle grounds. By Flint road. Started on the 7' weed bed hoping for some pan fish action and after about 4 hours nothing. Moved out to about 12' of water and caught 1 Pike on a minnow. Was outside if the pack in both spots. About 16" of ice and ran through many batteries trying to drill 10 holes. He already had a do- jigger in his mouth and wrapped with line. Out in about 10 hours of work and nothing on tip ups using blues and suckers. Used spikes and waxys for pan fish but nothing. Fished from 10am until 730 pm. Would like to catch some pan fish, it's my girlfriend's first time Ice fishing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts