Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

161 - 181 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
2,682 Posts

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Trestle park is the name of the place I'm talking about. The access point behind the pressure crack bar is about 250 yards to the west. Either spot will get you out on east bay.

·
Registered
98 Posts
What is acceptable is the exact same on any body of water that is open to the public. If you are not physically touching another person, you are legally allowed to fish there. Though I agree that it is a jerk move to be right on top of someone, acceptability is subjective....
Couldn’t agree more well said acceptability is most definitely subjective.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I mean just to the south of me there was nobody for miles down the giant sand wasteland lol. I'd suggest not going fishing anywhere in Southern Michigan to some. I drill over 100 holes the majority of times on the ice. Along with other doing the same. If I got upset when someone was with in 100byards of me I'd be upset literally every time out lol. Im happy if there isn't 20 guys within 100yards lol. And they aren't even in a group. Lol

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
You can also access it at the East DNR boat launch but it's a long walk if you are on foot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was out of south DNR launch in 11 ft of water sun/24th and had my aqua vu cam with me. I was targeting walleye, but it was one of the more active days I have seen. I saw schools of bass, walleye, and some of the biggest gills I have ever seen. If I had smaller minnows, could have been my best day ever for gills. They liked my minnows, but were too big for them and dropped down some waxworms and they wanted nothing to do with them. As was... I had a blast, and had my line snapped twice and landed half a dozen pike and bass. Lost 5 on dead stick that I didn't have my camera on so could have been walleye, pike, or bass? Pike yesterday were thicker than my past experiences here at houghton, but still rare to see any bigger than 24. It was south middle grounds, but funny thing to me was I was completely alone on weeds. Everyone else I saw was in deeper water or on west edge line of middle grounds. Closest person to me was probably 500 yards away.

I am going out again today/mon/25th, but gonna try a different spot as I was on foot alone and walking 3/4 of a mile out kinda sucked! haha.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Anybody coming up fishing this weekend, FYI there will be snowmobile drag races and quad oval races on the East Bay this weekend both Saturday and Sunday. Parking will be at a premium. If you are coming use the DNR launch on County Road 100 and go fishing towards the Middle Grounds. That's my report.

Reactions: junkman

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Was out today on Houghton, no luck. Only my 2nd time ever on that lake so I don’t know much about it.

I did take a drive around and found the south DNR launch and was impressed as to how nice of an access point it was for machines. Don’t see it that good in places.

How deep does this lake get? What exactly are the middle grounds people talk about?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The lake deepest point around 17 to 20 feet. Middle grounds is basically the middle of the main lake. Go to any sports shop and look at or buy a Houghton Lake Map it will show you where the Middle Grounds is.

Reactions: TheLionsFan

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
The middle grounds varies from person to person.
Some locals call the big weed bed by the south launch the middle grounds. Others call the big weed bed off Songer's point the middle grounds.

161 - 181 of 190 Posts