Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 60 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
We are out here now. 12.5" of water out off Trestle Park. The bite it slow, and the perch are super small. Using waxies,minnows and crawlers. They seem to like the crawlers the best on tear drops. I have the camera in the water and they all swim up and take little nibbles and sometimes they bite and most of the time they don't. Caught about 20 or so between the 3 of us and all were throw backs.

·
Registered
457 Posts
We are out here now. 12.5" of water out off Trestle Park. The bite it slow, and the perch are super small. Using waxies,minnows and crawlers. They seem to like the crawlers the best on tear drops. I have the camera in the water and they all swim up and take little nibbles and sometimes they bite and most of the time they don't. Caught about 20 or so between the 3 of us and all were throw backs.
Are you seeing any weeds?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
4 of us fished east bay 1.2 miles off east shore from 9:45 am til dark yesterday and 7:30-12pm today.
I had 7 flags all but 1 dropped it and i lost the other.
We landed 7 pike,lots of drops.pretty slow really we fished 7-12' of water.
Only running tipups..fun little short trip though,cheap 2 days really even though 2 large pizzas cost the same as 1 night stay in the lodge Lol

·
Registered
88 Posts
Are you seeing any weeds?
Yeah, there were a few weed beds. They would come up from the bottom and look at the bait. Just wish they were bigger perch. Might try a different lake tomorrow. I think we need to be a bit deeper. I don't have a sled and it sucks pulling 200lbs of gear through the deep snow. Anyone have any suggestions for lakes on the way home near I-75 South from Houghton? We were thinking Secord or Budd Lake. Budd is off 127 but it might be worth the detour.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yeah, there were a few weed beds. They would come up from the bottom and look at the bait. Just wish they were bigger perch. Might try a different lake tomorrow. I think we need to be a bit deeper. I don't have a sled and it sucks pulling 200lbs of gear through the deep snow. Anyone have any suggestions for lakes on the way home near I-75 South from Houghton? We were thinking Secord or Budd Lake. Budd is off 127 but it might be worth the detour.
I hope you get on some good ones. Sounds like work tugging all that gear for a few dinks. I have had similar results sometimes on Houghton, it is a big water. Fun when you do find them though.

·
Registered
233 Posts
We fished South DNR Launch in the Morning and Trestle park on the evening. 2 tiny perch the whole day. Set tip ups at first spot with no takers. Wasn’t marking much at either spot. Not sure what we’re gunna do today. The report was the same for everyone I talked to while leaving.
Ended up at St Helen today. Way different vibe over there. A lot of folks on the ice but but not the same fanfare that you see on Houghton. Way better looking lake as far as scenery goes. Anyways 1 20 inch pike a few small perch. Punched about 40 holes. Good weekend anyways.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Well, it sounds like you need to make a Smitty sled. Makes it a lot easier pulling by hand.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Started driving to Houghton this morning about 5. Took me 4 hrs to get to o West Branch. Pulled off and went to peach lake instead.
IMG_20210102_123102.jpg
Caught about 50-60 of these. This is my biggest one

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
Reactions: Crappie1
41 - 60 of 190 Posts