Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom has a place off Houghton Lake in the canals off Iroquois. We go up every so often to visit and my kid is addicted to fishing. Being I don't get up there often enough to establish a pattern, what is available to catch in the canals at different times of the year?

I did pretty good on gills in the late spring and early summer. By later summer they seemed to have moved on. What is there available this time of year until ice up? Do pike cruise the canals in the winter? Ive heard the crappie move in after ice out. It's pretty casual for me, a low effort type of thing to take advantage of while visiting. Just curious on what to expect and what to bring with me different times of the year.

·
Registered
43 Posts
havn't fished it in many years,friend had a place on the north shore and he always had stories about crappies in the spring in canals,somebody will show up with more current info,great that son likes fishin

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
My mom has a place off Houghton Lake in the canals off Iroquois. We go up every so often to visit and my kid is addicted to fishing. Being I don't get up there often enough to establish a pattern, what is available to catch in the canals at different times of the year?

I did pretty good on gills in the late spring and early summer. By later summer they seemed to have moved on. What is there available this time of year until ice up? Do pike cruise the canals in the winter? Ive heard the crappie move in after ice out. It's pretty casual for me, a low effort type of thing to take advantage of while visiting. Just curious on what to expect and what to bring with me different times of the year.
I always set tip ups off the mouths of those canals provided the ice was safe. Water is fairly shallow and pike DO cruise those areas looking for bait fish which tend to gravitate to those places. Did well for the years I ice fished Houghton lake catching pike and other fish on tip ups in these places. It's been a few decades since I've fished that lake thru the ice tho.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts