Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
PahtridgeHunter said:
What are they? How do you get rid of them?
Hotspots are places with lots of birds. You want to get rid of them...email where they are. :)

Ok, sorry. My lab had hotspots a couple years ago but it happened over the summer when she was swimming alot. She had ear infections and it spread down to the cheek area from all the moisture. She had a trip to the vet where they shaved her face to get the areas to dry out. They gave me some medication (anitbiotic) for it also. She looked funny for awhile with her face shaved but it healed quickly after that.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I think there can be several causes. A lot of times it's a buildup of dead skin and hair that causes a bacterial infection. It could also be an allergy?

Trim the hair off the area and clean it with an antiseptic soap. I use BAB for my dogs. The pup was getting little infections in her skin where the tips of thorns broke off. She still gets them on the tips of her ears. This clears up the issues quickly.

BAB one pint of rubbing alcohol (aids drying), three teaspoons of Boric Acid (kills bacteria), Enough betadine (Iodine based surgical soap)to make the solution a dark rust color.

Note: BAB stains and has been known to turn some light haired dogs a beautiful golden rust color typical of the Vizsla breed :D .

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help, Gentlemen. I just noticed the other day that Molly was incessantly licking a spot on her front leg. Inspecting it closer, it just appeared to be like dry skin, with some of the hair gone, apparently from her licking.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steelheadfred said:
Call tonight and I will have Kari give you the medical definition, I thought you were married, they are a good thing! :lol:
Hey, we take what we can get, right?:lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts