Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the drill from the Farm Service Agency? They recommend 60 hp to pull the drill. My tractor is 50 hp, the ground is relatively flat. Anyone know if I might be able to do the job? It's a 5 foot drill. I pull an 8 foot 3pt disc no problem.

· Registered
3,141 Posts
I’ve been fine pulling our counties 6’ truax drill on hilly, sandy soil with my little 55hp tractor. If you are flat and/or have 4wd, you should be fine, as long as you have the hydraulic as mentioned.

· Registered
2,382 Posts
I pulled that drill with a b7800 hst Kubota 30hp. I used the loader controls to raise and lower it and it pulled it fine. I did have it floored the whole time and stayed in low gear lol.

· Premium Member
5,317 Posts
Has anyone used the drill from the Farm Service Agency? They recommend 60 hp to pull the drill. My tractor is 50 hp, the ground is relatively flat. Anyone know if I might be able to do the job? It's a 5 foot drill. I pull an 8 foot 3pt disc no problem.

I used the no-till planter from Branch County; my 35hp has 4wd and 3 hydraulic remotes and it worked fine.

It pulled hard in the heavier wet soil and I often had to raise it above ground to continue. The wet soil was more of a clogging problem. Repetitive cleaning of the wet soil is a real pain.

The no-till results were pretty good, where everything was dry.
Though, by the time much of my property is dry, its way too late to plant.

I'm hoping to fill in the areas where the planter couldn't go with my dumbasshick planter. If the dahp spreads my seeds I'll post a pic.

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I don't have 4 wheel drive but ground is flat for the most part. I have 3pt and auxiliary remote hydraulic hook ups. Rear tires are NOT loaded but I pull a 3 bottom plow and an 8 foot disc no problem. I just wanted to get a little input on past experience with such a drill. Didn't want to rent it and find out I couldn't pull it! Thanks again for the replies.

· Registered
3,141 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I don't have 4 wheel drive but ground is flat for the most part. I have 3pt and auxiliary remote hydraulic hook ups. Rear tires are NOT loaded but I pull a 3 bottom plow and an 8 foot disc no problem. I just wanted to get a little input on past experience with such a drill. Didn't want to rent it and find out I couldn't pull it! Thanks again for the replies.
Oh should be fine then. Worst case is just a little preplanning around slight elevation changes as to which direction to go to get up/vs down it.

· Registered
10,529 Posts
My 35 HP Cabelas tractor pulled and utilized an 8' Truax drill from the Hillsdale district with no issues...It was obnoxiously to big for the job I was doing but it was the smallest drill they had at the time...Now getting it from the district and through downtown Hillsdale to my farm 12 miles away pulling it with my truck made for some good entertainment!...lol...How'd I spared folks mailboxes I have no idea...!

Attachments

· Registered
13,854 Posts
Land vehicle Sky Plant Vehicle Cloud
My 35 HP Cabelas tractor pulled and utilized an 8' Truax drill from the Hillsdale district with no issues...It was obnoxiously to big for the job I was doing but it was the smallest drill they had at the time...Now getting it from the district and through downtown Hillsdale to my farm 12 miles away pulling it with my truck made for some good entertainment!...lol...How'd I spared folks mailboxes I have no idea...!
I know the feeling sniper! I towed this 12 foot cultivator home from Wisconsin where I bought it some 90 miles away. Took all the back roads I could find...even got a little lost trying to get across the river but I made it home just after dark on a Monday night. Avoiding mail boxes was definitely a challenge! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.