Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brother -in-law just called me and said that he just shot a 4 point at about noon. He said when he walked up to it he thought he shot a Doe. he said that he was sure it was a buck when he shot it and that he even had his glasses on.
Well truns out that when the deer went down both antlers fell off, he found one under its front shoulder and the other one about 15 feet away.
sounds like thier dropping antlers a bit early this year.

Ken

·
Registered
275 Posts
A friend of mine from work shot a 4 pt last weekend and when he grabbed the rack to drag it it fell off. so did the other side. the deer was skinny and moving slow when he shot it. when he opened up the chest cavity it was full of white liquid/puss. he called the DNR and was told it was pneumonia (spelling?).

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
The deer might have been sick.......does his hair pull out easy? If so he might have been sick, Shot one a few years back and was getting ready to butcher it and noticed the hair was falling out.....called a couple places that butcher animals and they said it was most likely sick, you probably shouldn't eat it..

·
Registered
255 Posts
Five years ago I was out bowhunting on December 16th an eavning hunt for does. As the hunt progressed I could'nt manage to get a shot on a number of does that filed through, then I noticed a large bodied deer runing into the funnel area; as he left I noticed he only had one antler. The next day I walked into the area he was in and found a big 4-point shed and this was very southern Michigan. That buck was healthy and was killed the following hunting season as a 138" 8-point. I belive that some of these mature bucks get stressed from the rut, there hormone levels drop off and when there ready to drop there antlers they do it quiclky. Another reason to be very careful before you pull that trigger on that big doe in late seaon.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I shot a 4pt.(presumably) on thanksgiving day 2003 that had already dropped one side. It seemed healthy and I ate it. I read an article in the wood's n waters in which a biologist claims that if a deer suffers an injury on it's right side, the left antler will be weak/deformed (and vice versa).

·
Registered
234 Posts
shot one last yr on the 9th of dec. shot it in its bed and was sure it was a big doe and turned out to be a 2 1/2 yr old buck with just the bases left, antlers were both broke off at the bases.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have seen bucks that have been killed in our great doe only season in south Mi, It makes me wonder if the dnr has a clue what there doing letting people shoot deer anterless deer with guns till 1st of year. It really makes you feel good to pass on bucks all year just to have a doe hunter shoot them withen days of making it to next year.

·
Registered
270 Posts
:yeahthat: thats a good point.

my buddy shot one a six point last day of muzzleloader last year. both antlers borke off before we got it to the truck. the first one fell off as soon as he grabbed the deer to look at it. the second one fell off on the drag back to the truck. we ere dragging it by the hind legs.

the deer was full of buckshot and limping when he shot it.
~chris~

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
Hunted in Ionia County last night and saw 3 different bucks. A spike, 4 pt and a nice 6 pt. All had all of there racks, and the 6pt. was chasing two young does. No sign of them dropping in Ionia yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I hunt Tuscola county and saw a small (body size) buck yesterday that had nothing but the bases. This was really depressing considering that it was the first buck that I have seen this year.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Shot the biggest doe in the bunch tonight. Buddy and I walked up to the deer and he said holy cow that is the biggest button buck I have ever saw. We look a little closer and sure enough antlers were gone!!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I saw a six-point this weekend in Oscoda county that was trailing a couple does. Since he was out of bow range, I couldn't tell you if they were loose or not...

:lol:

·
Registered
473 Posts
My dad shot a uni-fork two years ago during regular gun season in Dickinson county. The one side left was loose when we examined it after the shot, i'm not really sure what its problem was, but maybe all that shock from the .35 Whelen rattled his brains so much his antler got knocked loose:lol:

·
Registered
164 Posts
my nephew shot a buck with 4 pts on one side on 12-10-05 in missaukee co. and when he tried to pull the deer out by the antler in pulled off in his hand.

turns out it was the deer that i had grazed on opening day of gun season. had
found alot of cut white hairs that morning after my shot and very little blood.
turns out the bullet grazed the brisket. the wound was almost healed over but
the brisket area was missing a lot of hair. i'm glad that he shot it since he's home on leave from the service for 10 days and really wanted to get something.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
bawplank said:
I have seen bucks that have been killed in our great doe only season in south Mi, It makes me wonder if the dnr has a clue what there doing letting people shoot deer anterless deer with guns till 1st of year. It really makes you feel good to pass on bucks all year just to have a doe hunter shoot them withen days of making it to next year.
you don't honestly believe that any measurable number of bucks get killed in late season because antlers have dropped, do you?

trust me, if the bucks that you passed on all year make it to late season, the vast majority of them will make it to next year. there are far bigger concerns than whether a buck that has dropped gets tagged as a doe. has it happened? probably. often? no, i'd venture its pretty rare. considering our total buck harvest, i'd say its not even worth mentioning.

·
Banned
206 Posts
I took a buck on Sunday night that was missing the right side. Four points on the left, so he filled my second tag. The right side was missing with a "meniscus" style pit at the base, with some green puss-like material about 2 inches from there. We think it may be a 2.5 year old, and he looks healthy other than that. He's a grungy buck (~12" spread) with burrs in his ears and legs, unlike "clean" bucks that I have taken before. After field dressing, he appeared healthy, and I just assumed he lost the one side for whatever reason.

On a totally separate note, I once shot a 5 pt. around Nov. 20th that was running so hard that when hit, flipped over into a roll and broke his left side antler right out of his head. The only thing holding it there when we approached was the skin/hide.

JL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts