Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of hornet has white on its body?????

We have never seen them til this year. They have white, with most of there body black and they also may have some yellow on them. They are slightly smaller then a bumblebee. There nest looked like a regular hornet nest and was pretty small.

What are these things???

And if i can get a close up pic of one, i will post it.

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Sounds like a Bald Faced Hornet to me Jeremy....

Don't mess with them !!!! They are from what I've heard one of the most aggressive types that we have here in Michigan. They will come after you even if you aren't provoking them.

Here's a link to a pic :

Bald Face Hornet

Well, it looks like maybe I was wrong about their reputation. I had a big nest of them about a year ago and from what I read, they were VERY aggressive. This link states that they're only aggressive in protecting their nest. Either way, I'll give them a very W I D E berth ! :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Don't mess with them. As the other guy said they are the most aggressive. I can remember my dad many years ago telling me that if you throw a rock at the nest they can track where that rock came from and they will come and attack. If you want pictures spray the next at night and take pictures of dead ones!!!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
If you are up for some excitement, I have an easy way for you to tell if they are Balledfaced Hornets. Approach the nest, at a safe distance, like 15 yards. Pick a nice round, smooth, baseball sized rock and hurl it at the nest. Now if your aim is true and they are balledfaced hornets you will not be able to outrun them, even if your name is Carl Lewis. This is experience talking, so heed the warning!

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
very small nest, about the size of a dollar bill. Looks like any other hornet nest. We come within feet of the nest and nothing happens beside them going about there work. So, i guess they are not bald faced hornets???:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Yeah if they are bald faced hornets trust me...you don't want to get tagged by them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts