Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I shot two deer with Hornady Black last year in 450. The first deer went 30 and died on his feet. The second buck didn't go anywhere. The shot knocked him to the ground and he didn't get up. I don't know too much about the finer points of judging one cartridge to another, but considering that I'll only ever fire the gun 3 times or less in a year (range notwithstanding), I'm satisfied with them so far - no misfires and 2 dead deer.

To the fella that dislikes them so much, I believe that you stated that you've shot many deer with them and recovered all but one. Isn't that the only result that really matters?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
port huron has them in stock as well last week

They just restocked, all the shelves are full there now. A lot of calibers that you could not get are at that store now, 3 box limit.

Reactions: onebad800

·
Registered
56 Posts
I shot two deer with Hornady Black last year in 450.

Curious what the ranges were? Did you get full through and through penetration? I havent given up on the bullet yet mainly because its worked every single time I have shot a deer it just hasnt performed the way I would want a bullet to perform in 44cal. Ive loaded the 300gr ftx in my 500sw mag this year so I guess I will see how it works in that caliber. I also have a 350gr XTP load for the same 500 and a 375gr barnes that shoots ok as well. But the ftx are more abundant and not as spendy and I like to shoot my guns for fun as well as for hunting.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Curious what the ranges were? Did you get full through and through penetration? I havent given up on the bullet yet mainly because its worked every single time I have shot a deer it just hasnt performed the way I would want a bullet to perform in 44cal. Ive loaded the 300gr ftx in my 500sw mag this year so I guess I will see how it works in that caliber. I also have a 350gr XTP load for the same 500 and a 375gr barnes that shoots ok as well. But the ftx are more abundant and not as spendy and I like to shoot my guns for fun as well as for hunting.
Both of them were full pass through so I couldn't speak to how well the bullet expands and whatnot. Both short shots. Under 15 yards. Ironically, my only long shot last year was with the crossbow, lol.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Both of them were full pass through so I couldn't speak to how well the bullet expands and whatnot. Both short shots. Under 15 yards. Ironically, my only long shot last year was with the crossbow, lol.

Isnt that how it goes? Get set up for long shots with a capable cartridge/gun and then they about sit in the blind with ya.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I’ve shot a half dozen deer with your .450 using hornady blacks with no issues. From 30-120ish yards, always great blood trails if you don’t see them drop. The two bullets I recovered mushroomed nicely and retained most of their weight. Maybe different guns have different results, but haven’t seen a reason to worry yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
I’ve shot a half dozen deer with hornady bucks with no issues. From 30-120ish yards, always great blood trails if you don’t see them drop. The two bullets I recovered mushroomed nicely and retained most of their weight. Maybe different guns have different results, but haven’t seen a reason to worry yet.
For sure, theres a lot of variables. Perhaps a bullet design for one caliber performs better than another caliber. I reload and drive my bullets at different velocities than most factory ammo. The performance window could definitely be different for the different calibers.

·
Premium Member
2,407 Posts
Just curious how you determine the ammo was at fault if you didn't recover the deer? FYI! It's more likely to be from a poor shot than from the ammo.

I can guarantee that my blood trails were just as good as your overpriced ammo.
A 22lr has killed lots of mammals. Buy some brass 450 BM, save the brass, and reload it, or find a friend who will show you how to load your own.(y)

·
Premium Member
2,407 Posts
Too bad premium ammo for the 450 is unavailable nowadays. Maybe next year.
There is a shooting lab I just walked by that may be able to help . Firearm opener ya know. Instead of walking in town, I carried my 30/06 and pushed deer to my neighbors.

Home - Applied Ballistics

eta, I'm in contact

·
Registered
603 Posts
I've said this before and I'll say it again. Much better ammo available. Why use a target/ varmint cartridge when one can use a controlled expansion big game hunting cartridge. Some argue that the Increased cost of better 450 ammo is not worth it. However, after the increase in the junk Hornady rounds what is a few dollars more in the long run. Hornady 450 ammo= coyote rounds.
18 for 18 with that junk now. Great blood on the few that have ran anywhere.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I guess I should have just kept my mouth shut. Search through this forum and read all the other info on this specific subject. I use Bear Creek Ballistics. I have tested the Hornady rounds vs them and recovered the BCB rounds but only find fragments of the Hornady. The BCB has roughly 97% weight retention while again nothing left of the Hornady to weigh. I took many deer with broadside double lung shots again with the Hornady SST in muzzleloader and Hornady 450 rounds. I again recovered all but 1 and upon doing an inspection of the chest cavity I never got consistent results. For example, shooting out of a stand and having exit higher than entrance without hitting bone. I have no personal vendetta against Hornady, just don't like rounds that splatter on impact periodically. I've shot deer from 30 yds to 275 yds with them, but in comparison the BCB has hands down outperformed the Hornady. I started buying BCB bullets and reloading and now with the Hornady price increase mine may be about the same cost. Sorry if I offended any Hornady users. Keep on doing what you're doing. It won't surprise me when you have that bad experience standing there scratching your head saying wtf and look to different ammo that actually consistently holds together.
Are you shooting the BCB 240gr bullet, or their 285gr? I'm curious how the accuracy of BCB compares to Hornady.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Every gun I've seen blacks shoot out of off a sled or bags in 3in or less group at 100. Not sure it gets much better. I think sometimes people overtime things to much. It's 21 for 21 now.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I can appreciate being the AMMO Shortage that has been ongoing but some Firearms don't like the low end ammo some are posting about! As some mention "Premium" that could be a Better Cartridge for a specific Firearm! As some like a better Cartridge once you Find That Round You know just how much Better Performance You Will Have Using Better Ammo! I have tried some different Brands of Ammo and some of my Rifles did not like Them! So For the $ I will stick with the Premium Ammo I have been Using and as I have 5 Boxes of it and Being It is Remington and that Part of Remington sold off the Ammo Part That Business the new Company is slow in getting that Back on the Market! Maybe by 2023 It will be more available!
Newaygo1

·
Registered
603 Posts
Some rem stuff sounds like won't be remade or won't be the same. Others we have been expecting for months and still not seen.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts