Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those looking for Hornady custom 450 BM FTX, I just picked up 2 boxes of 450 FTX at dunhams in Lansing. They had at least 20 boxes left. If they have them then other Dunham stores might.

Reddog

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was at the Lansing Mall Dunhams late this afternoon and they had a bunch.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've said this before and I'll say it again. Much better ammo available. Why use a target/ varmint cartridge when one can use a controlled expansion big game hunting cartridge. Some argue that the Increased cost of better 450 ammo is not worth it. However, after the increase in the junk Hornady rounds what is a few dollars more in the long run. Hornady 450 ammo= coyote rounds.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I've said this before and I'll say it again. Much better ammo available. Why use a target/ varmint cartridge when one can use a controlled expansion big game hunting cartridge. Some argue that the Increased cost of better 450 ammo is not worth it. However, after the increase in the junk Hornady rounds what is a few dollars more in the long run. Hornady 450 ammo= coyote rounds.
Lol! Shot many deer with the Hornady 450 and they performed flawlessly. Massive blood trails each and every time from 20 yd shots to 100 yd shots. Guys who have trouble must not be hitting the deer where they are supposed to.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I myself shot "many deer" with them as well. It wasn't until I experimented with a well designed/ constructed 450 round vs the poorly designed/ constructed Hornady round that I realized the difference for myself. Don't be afraid to try. You'll never go back. Just as I used the Hornady SST muzzleloader sabots which are the same and had marginal performance even though I found the deer Everytime. I believe most look to optimize performance with consistency, while others are complacent with average results. After your first lost deer with the Hornady you probably will not be laughing out loud anymore.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So what are the better rounds? I’ve been using Hornady black and had great luck but I’m all about trying a top quality round. I will say though, 4 deer and a 350 pound bear with the Hornady and I have yet to track one further than 30 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I'll make a good shot and keep that few dollars in my pocket. Dont knock the round, knock the shot or the shooter, up to you. If you wanna talk powerbelts I'll probably agree with you.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I myself shot "many deer" with them as well. It wasn't until I experimented with a well designed/ constructed 450 round vs the poorly designed/ constructed Hornady round that I realized the difference for myself. Don't be afraid to try. You'll never go back. Just as I used the Hornady SST muzzleloader sabots which are the same and had marginal performance even though I found the deer Everytime. I believe most look to optimize performance with consistency, while others are complacent with average results. After your first lost deer with the Hornady you probably will not be laughing out loud anymore.
Just curious how you determine the ammo was at fault if you didn't recover the deer? FYI! It's more likely to be from a poor shot than from the ammo.

I can guarantee that my blood trails were just as good as your overpriced ammo.

·
Registered
38,000 Posts
All ammo is over priced right now. Hopefully this is not the new norm.

Reactions: vincke07

·
Registered
212 Posts
I guess I should have just kept my mouth shut. Search through this forum and read all the other info on this specific subject. I use Bear Creek Ballistics. I have tested the Hornady rounds vs them and recovered the BCB rounds but only find fragments of the Hornady. The BCB has roughly 97% weight retention while again nothing left of the Hornady to weigh. I took many deer with broadside double lung shots again with the Hornady SST in muzzleloader and Hornady 450 rounds. I again recovered all but 1 and upon doing an inspection of the chest cavity I never got consistent results. For example, shooting out of a stand and having exit higher than entrance without hitting bone. I have no personal vendetta against Hornady, just don't like rounds that splatter on impact periodically. I've shot deer from 30 yds to 275 yds with them, but in comparison the BCB has hands down outperformed the Hornady. I started buying BCB bullets and reloading and now with the Hornady price increase mine may be about the same cost. Sorry if I offended any Hornady users. Keep on doing what you're doing. It won't surprise me when you have that bad experience standing there scratching your head saying wtf and look to different ammo that actually consistently holds together.

·
Registered
38,000 Posts
Too bad premium ammo for the 450 is unavailable nowadays. Maybe next year.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Semper Fi gun store in addison michigan had many boxes of 450bm and 350 legend last week. I dont shoot either so I didnt really check out the price but the shelves were full for those two rounds.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Ive shot good bullets out of my muzzy. Those barnes 100% copper bombs are like nothing ive ever seen before.

But i cant easily find anything like that for my 450 so i shoot the lead plated garbage. Its my first year with the gun and i am shooting the federal fusions. Time will tell.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I guess I should have just kept my mouth shut. Search through this forum and read all the other info on this specific subject. I use Bear Creek Ballistics. I have tested the Hornady rounds vs them and recovered the BCB rounds but only find fragments of the Hornady. The BCB has roughly 97% weight retention while again nothing left of the Hornady to weigh. I took many deer with broadside double lung shots again with the Hornady SST in muzzleloader and Hornady 450 rounds. I again recovered all but 1 and upon doing an inspection of the chest cavity I never got consistent results. For example, shooting out of a stand and having exit higher than entrance without hitting bone. I have no personal vendetta against Hornady, just don't like rounds that splatter on impact periodically. I've shot deer from 30 yds to 275 yds with them, but in comparison the BCB has hands down outperformed the Hornady. I started buying BCB bullets and reloading and now with the Hornady price increase mine may be about the same cost. Sorry if I offended any Hornady users. Keep on doing what you're doing. It won't surprise me when you have that bad experience standing there scratching your head saying wtf and look to different ammo that actually consistently holds together.
Agreed 110%. I did some extensive testing with the FTX and can say I will never use them again on deer size game.I now reload the Barnes TTSX bullet with outstanding results. Yep when the buck of a lifetime gives me an opportunity, I do not want to be worried whether my bullet will fragment on impact or not !

·
Registered
56 Posts
Agreed 110%. I did some extensive testing with the FTX and can say I will never use them again on deer size game.I now reload the Barnes TTSX bullet with outstanding results. Yep when the buck of a lifetime gives me an opportunity, I do not want to be worried whether my bullet will fragment on impact or not !
What kind of testing did you do? I only ever shot one deer when I had my 450BM using the ftx. At 80yds or so and it did a satisfactory job but I have read a lot of negative about it too. I noticed lackluster performance with the 225ftx in 44cal. Shots under 50-75 yards grenaded, shots over 100yds performed great, full penetration and no fragments strewn about. Im sure this is due to velocity. It did the job but if one were not to hit exactly where they wanted, say a shoulder shot, for whatever reason then I could see lack of penetration and more fragmentation. May end up in a wounded deer or maybe it drops right down. But thats not something I would want to leave up to chance so I chose a different bullet for my uses (speer deep curl.) And the barnes XPB/TSx line is a good line of bullets. If expansion fails to happen youre still making a 45 cal hole through and through with a 450 bushmaster.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts