Discussion Starter #1
Gun; Knight Nighthawk .50 cal
Powder; 110 grains Goex ffg
Sabot; Knight black for 50/45 cal.
Primer; CCI #11 mag.
Deer; 168lb eight point dressed
Shot distance; 30 yards.
Distance traveled after shot 40 yards
Bullet; Hornady 300 grain .452 dia XTP (not mag)

Bullet recovered 289.7 grains (96.6% retention) .726 dia

Buck quartering away. Shot destroyed both lungs and top half of heart. Ribs hit both sides. About a 2" dia entry hole into chest and slightly smaller exit out. Bullet was recovered inside the hide not between the hide and body. .Blood trail anybody could follow.

I have used this combo for @ 10 years and many deer killed. This is the first bullet I ever recovered. Never had a problem tracking any of the deer. Some dropped some ran most fell within 50 yards. My gun will keep 5 shots in 1.75" off bags at 100 yards. Clean between every shot never lube barrel.

Ps Never tried Powerbelts! :evil:

Skinner 2

·
Registered
277 Posts
yup them hornadys do the job, i would never think about changing loads, i remember the first deer i shot with the hornadys it was a 70 yrd shot and when i hit her she got knocked over sideways i figured she would get up and run as her legs where running in air but she never did get up, and when i climbed down and started dressing her i couldnt believe the damage that 300 did both lungs turned to jelly and her heart ripped in half

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Its all i've ever used ,out of both my muzzel loaders and have killed several deer with a pass through on every shot. I WOULD NEVER CHANGE !!!

Scott

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Excellent - I load XTPs in .357, 10 mm, .44 mag, and .45 Colt handguns. Nice to see what they really do on the business end.

I am in the middle of comparing SSTs vs XTPs out of my Encore.

I bought some SSTs due to the pointed tip for better long range ballistics but I am guessing I will probably never need that range.

I will compare .45 saboted 300 SSTs vs 300 XTP mag in my Encore 50 cal.

Best group I ever shot was with 240 gr XTPs but I prefer the 300s for hunting.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took a large doe Saturday morning. Standing broadside at 70 yards. Took out both lungs and the tope of the heart. No major bones hit. the 300 XTP exited and drove into the snow covered hillside.

Loose hair was spread for 5 foot where she stood. A 2 1/2 foot wide misted bloodtrail copied her footsteps. Additionally larger sploches of blood also dotted the snow, brush and trees. A trail nobody would have trouble following.

She was down in less than 50 yards.

Skinner 2

·
Registered
414 Posts
I too clean between every shot. Very consistent as a result.

My 2nd year muzzleloading and both years I was successful. Last year was a 17" spread 8pt, this year was a 100lb doe. Both deer were recovered within 50 yards of where I shot them with pass throughs on both.

I use 250 gr TC Shockwaves with 100 gr trip-7. I won't switch because of my range results and rocovery results. What ever works, stick with it.

Congrats on your deer and nice shooting.

·
Registered
35,573 Posts
I've shot 300gr 45 cal xtps for years with similar results on deer and bear. I switched to deadcenters 2 seasons ago. I don't get the pass throughs like I used to and 4 out of 5 never took a step. More expensive along with improved accuarcy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts