Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we all have our own stories for hooking yourself, but who has the worst or oddest place?

The worst for me is the web of my right hand between thumb and pointer finger.

·
Registered
489 Posts
One bad thing about musky fishing, big lures, 100lb test braid, rods designed for 3oz lures, big hook sets, and drags set at near max lead to a lot of flying lures. I've hooked myself in the legs, the arms, the chest, knocked off my own hat, and taken dives at the deck to avoid getting nailed. Luckily, ive never buried a barb so far I couldnt pull it out. But if you ever see a guy hopping around on the back deck of a blue bayliner as a lure flies by at ridiculous speeds, I probably just missed another musky! :D

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my middle finger shows a nice scar from a vmc I lodged into the bone, Had to travel an hour and a half to iron mountain to get it dug out

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Late 70's had a Jitterbug hanging out of my nose as I waited in the ER four hours til I was attended to.
80's Rapala stuck in back of head, continued to fish for five hours, then went to ER to have it removed.
Both lures were burried so deep in flesh we couldn't get them out at home :)

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
When I was younger, maybe 10 or so. My dad, brother and I were Steelie fishing Singing Bridge. I decide to act like i'm fly fishing....bring the rod back, forward, back, forward.......AHHHHH Sunk that fly right through the lower part of my ear. Dad's buddy took me up and put ice on my ear, numbed it, and pulled it out.

Then another time when I was a teen. Me and my brother were fishing out in front of my parents place. He was getting into bass fishing and was using a baitcaster with rattle trap. I was standing behind casting one way. The nest thing I knew, I felt something hit the back of my head, then my head jerked backwards. Same thing as last, put some ice on it enough to numb it, and out it came.

Other than that, I have hooked myself plenty of times, but thankfully the barb has not gone through (knocking on wood).

·
Registered
221 Posts
hooks, yeah i have had them in me.

Last May I had a nice plastic lure pack at the back of the boat. Holds about 100 spoons, clips on the back. I always wondered about all those 3/0 trebles and the thin plastic cover.

My son had a nice salmon on, I went to the back of the boat to help. My leg was off the floor, a wave hit, my leg slammed down while against the lure pack.

It felt like my leg exploded, and my body was on fire. I can't explain the pain, just that it hurt more then i was whacked in my calf with an axe by a friend by accodent (that hurt too). My brain lit up light a volcano. I looked down to see alot of blood on my lower leg.

It appears the 3/0 treble entered my leg fully about an inch and a half, tore up about 6 inches, luckily (ow)the treble metal straightened out in my leg, which allowed it to tear itself out after another 2 inches. Big hunk of muscle hung out of the wound for weeks. Kept getting infected into August. Decided to get antibiotics late July as everytime i launched the boat and it got wet, it was infected. Guess men do not go to the doctor's right away.
I got rid of the lure pack, as i was terrified softer parts of my body would not survive being impaled on 100 trebles, such as my manhood parts.

I finished the day fishing, let the wound bleed out to cleanse it. I have naturally thick clotting blood, My sock and shoe had alot of blood in it. I wore shorts at work all summer, so everyone at work had to look at the messy wound.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
So many times, brings back a lot of bad memories for sure! Of all the times, one I have to share, and it didn't happen to me, a warm Sunday evening, myself, two buds, and the ring leader "pops", just before dark, throwing the biggest spinner baits in the box, and just "slayin the pike" Still don't know how "Jake" did it, but the hook entered just above the right eye, a miracle in it's self, and the point was sticking out just before the right ear! Bleedin like a stuck pig, he cut's the line, ties on another spinner and keeps right on castin! I couldn't even look at it! After not to long, "Jake" starts blackin out, great, "Pops says, we'll get to the Doc's in a few, a hour and a half later, Got to sit in the ER for another hour before "Jake" goes into surgery to have the spinner removed. Keep him until Monday afternoon, "Pops said it was to keep a "eye on him"! I think it was to give him a ton of new blood! Time to go to bed and have a few bad dreams!
P.S. "Jake" got to bring home the spinner, told me he wasn't leavein the hospital without it, he says it's his favorite lure to this day!

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
Last year in June on friday the 13th and a full moon I was attempting to unhook a sheephead I caught on a bomber.Well You all know how cheap the hooks are on them from the factory.Well I had replaced mine with eagle claw 4 ott lazer hook and this sheephead happens to flop while me the idiot was trying to pull it out with out pliars.Well the fish flopping sunk the hook in my right middle finger so deep it through the bone.As unmagineble painful as this was I attempted to try and pull it out.Well it just wasnt going to happen.Took about 3 shots in the finger to numb it at the er where the doc then pulled it with pliars.

Also about 5 years ago I was fishing from my boat I used to have while I lived in Missouri.My buddy and I were fishing ina private pay lake this particular day.We were casting road runers when my buddy went back to cast came up and his bait went sinking into the side of my neck making me a large neck bass LOL.Well I cut off the lead head part of the lure leaving the shank sticking out of neck.Fished the rest of the day until dark then I went home.I lived 2 blocks away from the hospital where I went to have it pulled out.

Other than that I have other numerous encounters with fish hooks but there are the most serious of all the encounters.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I dont know how many times Ive hooked myself. They always healed up good thoough, except for that pike bite to the thumb...o man that hurts. A freind in school peired his own ear with a rapala once. I heard him whimper a little looked up and he tried to shake it off then spazzed out when he relized he had a new fishing lure earring. My dad had to take him to the emergency room. Kinda bad at the time but funny now.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
if i had a nickel for every time i hooked myself i would be a rich man. Luckily i have only hooked myself badly one time, about 2 years ago. I believe i posted something on here about it, lemme see if i can't find the thread.

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
Oscoda Super Tournament, August 2002. I learned a very important lesson. Never lay lures on the engine compartment! I had just pulled the boat up to the launch to drop the cooler for weigh-in. After unhooking the straps that hold the cooler down, I knelt on the engine compartment to heave the cooler over the transom and into the boat. As I did this, I felt something bury into my knee in that soft spot just under my knee cap. When I tried to move, I realized I was pinned to the engine compartment by a black screwball spoon.

With a little plier work I free'd myself from the engine compartment and left the screwball stuck in my knee. My brother-in-law and I motored the boat up the river to where I had it docked and tied the boat up, then proceeded to asses the situation. He happens to be a paramedic and registered nurse, so I felt in good hands. As we cut the screwball away from the treble, my buddy Randy (Great White) showed up and asked what was going on? One look at my knee and he says "BOB! are you ok?? Do you feel alright buddy???" I started thinking, man maybe I really don't feel so good.......the next thing I remember is my brother-in-law holding ice on the back of my neck while I sit on the floor of my boat.

Well, finally a trip to the Tawas ER and some antibiotics and my knee is back to normal. Lesson learned! :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had a shad rap buried deep in my right ring finger from a Pike that flopped up off the floor similar to Stinger63's story above. My dad got it out with the method, which has been published a lot, using a length of mono wrapped around the wrist to make a loop. Everyone should know that method or have a copy of it on the boat. It worked great to get a pretty deep hook out with little pain.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe I shouldn't have asked everyone, If you read all these threads you start to get sick! My girlfriend started to read them and was getting upset

Gomer you had a good one. OUCH!

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
We were out on Lake Erie last August 20 miles off shore out by sister Inlands. (we put in at Catawba) We were running reef runners, as I was putting one out it got caught up in the drift sock. I reached down to pull it out when a wave hit the boat and drove that reverse barbed hook all the way into my index finger knuckle.:eek: Them hooks are sharp. BUT WAIT THERES MORE.
I figured that I could yank this thing out by myself. So my buddy take over the helm and we've got Adjusted3 running his boat right next to us. Now me and pain DO NOT MIX. So every time I touch this hook it send a jolt of pain straight to my head. After about the second or third try I had enough. I calmly turned to my buddy at the helm and told him that I was going to past out. About 10 min. later I came to. Adjusted3 had jumped from his boat to mine to give my buddy a hand. They got me up of the floor and in the seat, pulled all the line and we headed in for the ER. 1 1/2 hours later we finaly got back to the launch. I was not the first one in the ER that day for a hook removal.

Talking with the Doc. he said they average 4-5 a day. The most was 50 in1 day.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Originally posted by Steven Arend
The most was 50 in1 day.
With everyone's misfortunes that have been posted, makes me wonder if there was a MS outing in the area!;)

You guys have definitely given me that sick feeling a couple of times with your stories. My Dad and I were tying a couple of weeks ago and he was trying to find a hook he dropped in the carpet. Wow, did he send it through his finger while "hand sweeping" the carpet.

I've hooked myself a few times but nothing major. Last year, I actually sliced my index finger on the gill cover while walleye fishing and probably needed stitches. My friend kept asking me if I wanted to head back but they were just starting to bite, so I replied no. Truth is, he was feeling a little faint!:p

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Pikeslime, it sounds like your dad applied a tourniquet to stop the blood and relieve your pain. Sounds plausible. This might come in handy someday - for someone else, I hope.

Have you seen any web links to this method?

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I've been to the doctor twice to have hooks taken out of me. Once when I was about eight I was catching creek chubs with a small popper and I managed to get it stuck in me. The second time I was 17 and managed to bury a dry fly way past the barb into the second joint on my index finger. After a little self surgury was unsuccessful I decided to actually use the medical insurance my parents had on me and went to the walk in clinic in Grayling. The doctor I had couldn't understand why he couldn't just pull it out. I ended up drawing a picture of the hook with it's barb for him to end the confusion. His "Engrish" wasn't so good. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts