Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone sharpen their hooks or should I just replace them? What do you use for a sharpener?

Thanks,

Pat

·
Registered
54 Posts
I sharpen mine, after about a million snags they tend to get dull. lol

However, I use my boss's hook sharpener, I'm not sure the brand, however, I do know he spent like $750.00 on it. I informed him that $750.00 would buy a damn lot of hooks. It's really the cat's ass. It can shrpen just about any hook known to man, you can even make your own. It does the barb too. Craziness.

Hope this helps. I know there are cheaper ones, but I figure, you get what you pay for.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Even some of the new hooks aren't very sharp. I have the battery hook sharpener, I think it's a Berkely (sp?). Works great and cheap too.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Definitely do not get rid of the hooks unless they are broken or you want to replace some of the commercial setups for other hooks. There are many good reasonably-priced sharpeners on the market. I always carry one with me when I am fishing to touch up after a snag or after an especially hard set on a fish. I will go out to my barn later and check my boxes and repost on this thread with the brand and type that I have.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't use one, though I don't fish that often. But I think I remember reading someplace that certain types of hooks shouldn't be sharpened? Is that true?

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
just checked, My sharpener is a Bear Stone by Bear Paw. By keeping it clean which is quite easy, I have yet to find a hook that I couldn't put an edge on. Some hooks I have seen say they have a permanent edge but I have yet to try a hook that didn't need a touch up after some heavy fishing. A few strokes with this stone on a hook and you can very easily test your blood sugar level or inscribe your fingernail. It works and it is not expensive. It is light, short, and can easily be carried in a vest or a pocket. Keep your points sharp and you will catch more fish!

·
Woods and Water Rat
21,657 Posts
I just use a flat stone, no name on it. Steinfishski had posted a piece emory cloth glued on the lid of a lure box as a handy hook tuner 'in the field'. Thought I'd repeat it. Great idea...

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, my mistake , HOW do i do it?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a mustad stone that slides out so I can carry it on the rivers. I do a TON of drifting and don't loose many hooks, and usually sharpen them at each snag after fish etc. It makes a difference. Its easy to do to just, the only downfall is if you have black or red hooks, it will wear to the silver color.

Bob

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I sharpen all Hooks regularly...Just stop at a baitshop and pick up a hook file....drag your hook on either side till it will dig into your thumb nail, then your good to go!

·
Registered
383 Posts
mustad makes a decent one looks like a pen the diamond pulls out from the inside of it, good for sharpening gut hooks on hunting knifes too

1 - 11 of 11 Posts