Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Hook 5 ice machine

736 16
Thinking of buying a lowrance hook 5 ice machine...any thoughts?
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
I bought one recently from Franks. I had the elite 4x before that and then the x67 before that. Always thought I wanted a larger screen, now that I have it I don't see any Benefit to it. If I could go back and do it again I would buy the hook 4 . The lowrances are great graphs you won't go wrong buying one, I would just save $100 and buy the hook 4 ice machine.
I just bought one for the quad. I disabled the sonar and use it exclusively for a GPS. So far, it works fine but it seems to take quite a bit longer to boot up than I expected.
My elite 4 takes quite a while to boot up also
I just bought one for the quad. I disabled the sonar and use it exclusively for a GPS. So far, it works fine but it seems to take quite a bit longer to boot up than I expected.
Reactions: BFG and Jimbos
Get the hook 7. It’ll fit in the ice bag and they are on sale for 299 pretty much everywhere that still has them in stock. The bigger screen is awesome
How's the battery life using the 7? Having issue's with battery using my 4
Get the hook 7. It’ll fit in the ice bag and they are on sale for 299 pretty much everywhere that still has them in stock. The bigger screen is awesome
I have the elite 4x, and haven’t had any issues with it other than Transducer wasnt working properly , they sent me a new one right away, great customer service and it’s been working great since
The 7 will last at least one full day of fishing. I usually charge it before each trip
Reactions: hootiejr
yes i bought the hook5 and like it however only regret was not getting bigger screen mainly for the boat use, but on ice its good once you get the settings right.
Reactions: Jimbos
My biggest complaint is what transducer to use when first setting up the unit? It's worked but it has to work better then it has but I just found a Youtube showing which transducer out of 30 that's actually Lowrances iceducer.
yes i bought the hook5 and like it however only regret was not getting bigger screen mainly for the boat use, but on ice its good once you get the settings right.
I ordered the hook5 with the bag and battery from cabellas for 316.00 out the door thought it was a good deal
I have the lowrance 5 ice machine and my son has the hook 4. A few less features on the hook 4 and the size of the screen is noticeable for sure. Both worked fine, but will require fine tuning just about every time if fishing different waters consistently.
jimbos i can look tonight and see which transducer came with my kit, you just have to make sure you select the correct one in the settings from the list, otherwise it wont work right i found that out on the water...lol, there should be a tag on the wire for the transducer with the part number also thats on list to choose from.
After I posted that I watched a couple of different YouTube's, and I had it on a charger right behind me, and one guy in a video mentioned the proper ice transducer and sure enough there's a tag near the plug on the back that stated the same.
I did have it set incorrectly, and the proper setting is........PTI-WBL/PTI-WSU.
jimbos i can look tonight and see which transducer came with my kit, you just have to make sure you select the correct one in the settings from the list, otherwise it wont work right i found that out on the water...lol
I finally made the switch to a graph from my old marcum and I will never look back. I have the hook 5 mounted on my sled with a ram mount for GPS. It easily disconnects and then mounts on the ice pack. After playing with settings on the ice it only took about 10-15 min to get it dialed in. It’s very user friendly.
I have a lowrance 5 that is on the quad for gps and a 4x in the bag for fishing. I can run the 4x for DAYS on a single battery charge and when you're fishing, you are only watching the edge of the graph as it "updates". I see no point to a larger screen for fishing. You wanna know where the fish IS.....not where it was..... imo
Amplitude scope is a must have on ANY graph
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.