Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from Mom's for lunch. It would have been her 50th anniversary today. We lost dad last December, after he fought
cancer for 6 years.
Today was divide up the guns and ammo day. We couldn't bring ourselves to do it sooner, but I hunted Saturday and wished I had the old man's Browning A-5 with me. Like him: tough, reliable, sturdy, ugly, lethal.
So: before I knew it, he was gone. No more excited calls with kills and totals, no more 0'fer hunts to laugh about. No more anticipation about opening day.

Times a wastin guys...don't forget the old man this fall. Take time, make time, share time. It could be gone tomorrow, and all you'll have left is memories and regrets.
Sorry, got caught up in it.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Sorry for your loss but don't apologize. I lost my Dad on opening day for pheasants a long long time ago and I still dread that morning. Its never been the same and Nov. the 15th is even worse.

·
Registered
130 Posts
took me two years and my son coming of age to get back in the marsh,

no need to apologize

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hear ya loud and clear. lost my dad this past spring fishing and in june i lost my 16 year old step son in car accident. two of the most important people in my life. Step son only got one duck hunt in with me, however he's hunting evey day.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I lost my Father in 1959. He was killed in active duty Michigan National Guard and two weeks short of his twenty-fifth birthday. The memories I have of him are of fishing and going Squirrel hunting. I was 5 years old. My Mom re-married and My Step-father became my Dad. He got me into Grouse and Woodcock hunting and his tak about his Setters got me into Bird dogs. Brittanys, but Birddogs just the same. We fished together, and Deer hunted also. He had a problem though, Tobacco. He smoked, alot and it stuck to him all the way into a second By-pass. So, take advantage of every opportunity that you can. I'm 54 now and I miss them both, alot. FRANK

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I dread the day that I cannot fish or hunt with my father. I make it a point to take him every Saturday, and Sunday is reserved for my good friends. Sometimes we all join in.

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Great advice Waxy - Thanks for posting.

(and sorry for your loss. I'm fortunate that I still have the opportunity to hunt with my dad and look forward to every hunt together. - been all across the continent with him and I cherish all the memories. I can't imagine him not being there one day.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts