Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was walking out on my grandparents property and came across a honey bee hive. It is the first one I have ever seen in the wild and thought it was really cool. Does anyone know if you can get the honey out? It was not dripping but you could see some in there. How does one go about this?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Does anyone know if you can get the honey out? It was not dripping but you could see some in there. How does one go about this?

That hive needs to be put in a super soon! It will not survive the Winter in the open. You can take a little of the honey but if they need it this Winter they won't survive. I would try to save the hive whole and hope for honey next year. They have to be a strong strain to have made it this far.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
what i have used before was a spinning barrel. you wouldput the honey combs inside a center bratchet inside the barrel. ( these were not wild honry combs but trays) and the top of the barrel had a crank. you spun the barrel and it would cause the honey to go to the out sides of the barrel. this is the way i know of. Also just break a piece of and chew on it. awesome find though i have never seen a wild one before

·
Premium Member
5,243 Posts
find a local apple orchard, they will usually have hives and may be interested in saving that hive. ive eaten it right off the comb from a wild hive and it is quite tasty.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Wild Bees are under extreme stress from a disease that is killing millions of them. I believe the disease is carried by a type of mite. Bees are critical to our food production. I would call an Orchard or a private Beekeeper and help them save the hive. I'm sure they would be glad to share some of the honey just to get their hands on a successful hive. FRANK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts