Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need one to fit a 4x4 on our front porch. I raised the seed basket to the porch ceiling and they are jumping from the 4x4 to the basket and suet cage below. The 4x4 supports the porch roof. Help please. Sheet of plexi hanging between feeder and post?

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Slide a 2' piece of 6" pvc over the 4x4 if possible. If not, stove pipe works too.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2nd attempt the grey missed. It was a long fall to the floor. Last time it climbed to the top but retreated. I am going to make a baffle out of some duct tin and screw some plexiglass into 4x4 above baffle. In case it tries to leap the baffle. Good entertainment.

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
:whistle:Wrap two pieces of hard wire around the post separated by a couple of inches.Next attach an extension cord to the pieces of hard wire.When the squirrel runs up the post he will get zapped when he bridges the two pieces of hard wire.:lol: Hours of entertainment until you run out of squirrels. :mischeif:

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
:whistle:Wrap two pieces of hard wire around the post separated by a couple of inches.Next attach an extension cord to the pieces of hard wire.When the squirrel runs up the post he will get zapped when he bridges the two pieces of hard wire.:lol: Hours of entertainment until you run out of squirrels. :mischeif:
I forgot to mention do not plug this in to a GFI outlet.Use a non GFI because the GFI trip way too quickly.;)

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
If you really want to have some fun hook that sucker up to a 220v line.:)

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wife won’t allow that. I put plexi
on three sides of 4x4. She heard the gray miss the feeder 3 times
before she opened the drapes today. Thought it struck our LARGE front window upon re-entry. THAT has to stop. Can’t believe it is still trying.

·
Banned
4,891 Posts
The most effective squirrel baffles look like this in my opinion.

Shoe Automotive tire Wood Synthetic rubber Outdoor shoe

·
Premium Member
11,217 Posts
One year we hung a feeder off a plant hook that was about 5 foot off the ground. Now for the show. You ever see a squirrel try to climb a plant hook. They would get almost to the top and slide back down. They tried to jump from the ground up to it. Worked good until the bear tipped it over and stole the feeder. I did the wire thing with an elec fencer hooked up to it and we had a red squirrel that would sit and take the shock and just quiver. So I went to the old standby. .17 out the window and I got30 plus red squirrels in 2 weeks. I did not shoot the fox or grays that came there but when season was open my grandson did. PITA to clean but he know how now

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tell myself to just feed with thistle, and sugar water for the hummers. But I don’t. Safflower seems to cut down on the number of squirrels. I have seen a few eat it though.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
About four years ago, I was able to remove all of my squirrel baffles from both the conventional feeders as well as the thistle feeders.

My avatar solved the problem...he caught 16 in 2017, and yesterday he nailed his 18th bushytail of 2018, and constantly looking for more. It's fun to watch him progress to just being a "bull-rush-out-the-door-run-'em-down" demon to actually waiting quietly under a treed squirrel (for as long as 15 minutes, if temps allow) until the victim thinks the coast is clear.

He hasn't perfected the stalk yet, but he's working on it thanks to lessons learned from Sophie, our West Highland White Terrier, who just loves to sneak up on them, but doesn't share Max's blood lust. :)

The foxes, owls, hawks, and other predators in the neighborhood appreciate Max's vigor, and I have enough squirrel tails for fly tying to last me 20 lifetimes.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Anyone try that slinky over the pole trick? I was wondering how long it would deter them.
I have...had some good laughs for a day till they figured out another alternative! I have 8" diameter plastic pipe covering my pole that works perfectly!

They only get to my feeders once in awhile by jumping from elevation!

·
Super Moderator
27,460 Posts
I have...had some good laughs for a day till they figured out another alternative! I have 8" diameter plastic pipe covering my pole that works perfectly!

They only get to my feeders once in awhile by jumping from elevation!
I use a 5' piece of 6" PVC. They can't grip it and slide down.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
About four years ago, I was able to remove all of my squirrel baffles from both the conventional feeders as well as the thistle feeders.

My avatar solved the problem...he caught 16 in 2017, and yesterday he nailed his 18th bushytail of 2018, and constantly looking for more. It's fun to watch him progress to just being a "bull-rush-out-the-door-run-'em-down" demon to actually waiting quietly under a treed squirrel (for as long as 15 minutes, if temps allow) until the victim thinks the coast is clear.

He hasn't perfected the stalk yet, but he's working on it thanks to lessons learned from Sophie, our West Highland White Terrier, who just loves to sneak up on them, but doesn't share Max's blood lust. :)

The foxes, owls, hawks, and other predators in the neighborhood appreciate Max's vigor, and I have enough squirrel tails for fly tying to last me 20 lifetimes.
Anyone who allows their pet to kill wildlife like this, is a walking, talking, turd.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts