Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Homemade Catfish Baits

4687 30
Does anybody have a homemade catfish bait that they use and have faith in? I sure do! Last summer, I began to soak hot dogs in Kool Aid powder. It worked very well for me! Jello soaked Shrimp and chicken also did some work as well.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Live Bluegill
Does anybody have a homemade catfish bait that they use and have faith in? I sure do! Last summer, I began to soak hot dogs in Kool Aid powder. It worked very well for me! Jello soaked Shrimp and chicken also did some work as well.
I have used chicken breasts, various livers, hot dogs/slim jims, I have done a kool aid, jell-o, garlic powder. They all work fairly well, especially in summer months. However in my experience the average size fish caught is much smaller compared to fish caught using cut or live bait.

When targeting smaller eating size catfish I use a shad "punch bait". It's both easier and more effective in my opinion. At the Sanford damn last year I caught 25 channel catfish in an hour. Most of the time was spent unhooking a big treble(the worst part about punch baits).
Reactions: 357Maximum
I would agree for the most part. I don't fish live bait too much at all. The hot dog and kool aid caught me a few channels that went 15lbs or so. Cutbait is always going to be my favorite bait, though.
I have used chicken breasts, various livers, hot dogs/slim jims, I have done a kool aid, jell-o, garlic powder. They all work fairly well, especially in summer months. However in my experience the average size fish caught is much smaller compared to fish caught using cut or live bait.

When targeting smaller eating size catfish I use a shad "punch bait". It's both easier and more effective in my opinion. At the Sanford damn last year I caught 25 channel catfish in an hour. Most of the time was spent unhooking a big treble(the worst part about punch baits).
Blue Gills cut! Missouri river is loads of fun! Good eating too!
Blue Gills cut! Missouri river is loads of fun! Good eating too!
I always use chicken liver they love it
Reactions: Cheye and Downsea
Just curious for you targeting catfish, what is the reasoning? Do you do it for the fun of it or do you go into it with the intent of keeping them to eat them? We always talk about doing it on a summer night, but never have the time. I have kept a few over the summer, while trolling the bay so I can put them in the smoker, but those are on the smaller side.
I dont target them. I use leeches on a floating jig head for walleyes and have caught big kitties here on the west side.
Nomas, cats are excellent table fare!!! My favorites are channel cats fried nice and golden!!!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I just like catching them and studying how they function as a species! They can be fast and furious OR sometimes can be very challenging to crack.
Just curious for you targeting catfish, what is the reasoning? Do you do it for the fun of it or do you go into it with the intent of keeping them to eat them? We always talk about doing it on a summer night, but never have the time. I have kept a few over the summer, while trolling the bay so I can put them in the smoker, but those are on the smaller side.
i catch dying/freshly dead shad before the spring cat spawn. they always work the best b/c it's basically matching what they are gorging on. In a certain spot, you can see big cats chasing up shad to the surface in the most aggressive manner.
Reactions: Cheye
I like whole uncooked shrimp from the super market. Let it marinade in my trunk and than cut it in half. Put on a 2/0 circle hook. Sit back and enjoy the night.
Spear some suckers fillet them out leave the scales and bones on em . Cut into bite size pieces soak in salt water . Freeze enough in a bag for a fishing trip

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Chicken livers are cheap and catfish specific bait. Never caught anything but cats on chicken liver lol. I know guys have luck with live bluegills or dead but I’ve never had luck in my waters with any type of minnow. While I’ve witnessed cats chasing shad in shallow water I can’t seem to make them bite anything consistently like livers and worms.

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
You may have your bait too close to the bottom. Use bait floats.

Cats can be caught on top water lures, crank baits, just about anything. They are predators.
We used to catch us a bucket of Crawdads in a farm drainage ditch and the medium sized ones made the best channel cat bait. We used crawlers and store bought shrimp too - but the Crawfish worked best.
Try a rig like this, but down size the components for our smaller fish in Michigan.

https://www.catfishedge.com/santee-cooper-rig/
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.